cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge/Freezer door opening while driving

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I have searched high and low on the entire OR forum and found nothing regarding this problem. Surely I'm not the only one of this planet to have this problem! If anyone has a link please post.

I have a 4x4 one-ton diesel truck hauling a Bigfoot camper. I frequently drive on gnarly uneven bumpy roads. For years I've had the problem of the fridge or freezer coming open while driving and dumping food and drink on the floor.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this problem? Obviously I could drill holes in cabinets or walls and tie ratchet straps or bungees but I've always hoped there was an easier way - but maybe not.
26 REPLIES 26

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
In addtion to all that, you said the food was falling out. So the weight of it bounching around may be a problem also, get some small tension curtain rods , put them inside the fridge to hold the food from bounching around.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous camper with that problem, I used a simple screen door latch. Screwed hook to edge of door and and eye screw to trim.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
unbob wrote:
No, not broken. It's a Dometic fridge - the latches are a "flexi" plastic thingy. It's for sure not a positive metal locking latch. Weird thing is that when I pull on the door (with the latch engaged) it won't open - seems to hold the door closed really well.

So it latches well when sitting still but comes unlatched when moving. First thoughts are the fridge is flexing enough to spring the latch. The door shim idea above may work but if you are getting that much flexing they may just fall out.
Maybe try some 3M Dual lock strips. Cut one in half and put half on the frame and half on the door. Then put a whole one connecting the two across the gap for travel. If it doesn't work a little heat from a blow dryer will get them right off.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same issue --- door coming open while driving / turning. Turns out, its due to the items we put in the door. Condiments, soda, beer, water...all heavy...door sags just enough to not catch well.

Solution?

I use 2 door shims from home improvement store -- cheap -- and wedge them under when driving. At our destination, take them out. Has worked for years like that, on different rigs. We too looked at bungie cords but the door shims are what I had at the time (about 15 years ago) and still using them. I think it helps save the hinge/bushing as well, as we take the weight off while driving.

Again, wedge under the door -- between door and frame. One to set, 2nd wedge to tighten.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted due to leaving Forum after 15 years based on how treated lately.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I put a piece of velcro on the door and A piece on the side, then wrapped the companion side of velcro so it hooked to both. It didn’t look elegant but it worked.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I can take a pic of a hack job i did. Worked great. Will be a few days.

All you need to do is screw a flat piece of metal right to the front of the fridge. Twist it one way to lock. Flap it over the other way to unlock.

I used an old door strike plate. Has that built in curve. Super slick.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may be able to get a new latch. On our N811 Norcold you have to positively push both doors in, until you hear a loud 'click'. Google Norcold parts and there is at least on dealer with a comprehensive supply of parts, think it's the Norcold guy. or something like that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I also carried a TC on a dually o. Some rather rough roads. My fridge door had a latch that held really well. Is your latch perhaps broken?
No, not broken. It's a Dometic fridge - the latches are a "flexi" plastic thingy. It's for sure not a positive metal locking latch. Weird thing is that when I pull on the door (with the latch engaged) it won't open - seems to hold the door closed really well.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I also carried a TC on a dually o. Some rather rough roads. My fridge door had a latch that held really well. Is your latch perhaps broken?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve used a bungee cord for years.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
For years RV fridges have featured a “positive” catch lock so your TC must be older. Straps were the answer to my‘78 Beaver TC fridge.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad