cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fuel tank issue UPDATE.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a good source for parts for my 25 year old fuel tank? I pulled it down to replace the fuel pump and hoses. but finding out that finding parts is not so easy. I am looking for a hydraulic style looking hose that comes off of inside pump to the pressure regulator on the frame rail. The pump I think I can find, but the hose has got me. I am glad I am doing this now instead of broken down alongside of the road. Hose
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.
13 REPLIES 13

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Superlube synthetic grease is not compatible with a number of "rubber" products per their web site.

Check out their compatibility charts.
RVing since 1995.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
never use a petroleum grease on rubber gaskets or O rings. it will cause them to swell an "pop out" as you have experienced. only use silicon based grease.

That's what I did use.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
never use a petroleum grease on rubber gaskets or O rings. it will cause them to swell an "pop out" as you have experienced. only use silicon based grease.
RVing since 1995.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I used Super Lube synthetic grease. I tried a couple of "O" rings that were supposed to fit the seat but they were either to big or to small in diameter or a smaller thickness. One thing I noticed was that "O" ring was real supple when we pulled it out. It looked like a part of it got sucked in. One thing for sure we had the fuel tank down a lot quicker than before. Having a harbor freight hydraulic table sure makes thing easy.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of grease did you use on the O ring?

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, we are all learning.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Well here is an update to the update, Took the motorhome to the upper peninsula of Michigan. was filling the gas tank and then stuffed it like normal. All of a sudden a river of gas was rolling all over the ground. Well pulled the tank again today and found the 3" o ring had rolled partially into the tank. I had greased the old one because I could not find the exact size. Well that was not the thing to do. Back to the drawing board.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
The gas tank is back in and the engine and generator fired right up. I found the in tank fuel pump at Carquest/Advanced auto parts. Probably $150 total in parts. There was a lot of time getting parts. I put in all new hoses to the tank. Also threw a coat of paint on the tank.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Hydraulic style fuel hose is made and ready to be picked up. $45 dollars. The fuel hose is fuel injection capable, good for ethanol.@ .25 cents an inch. no problem. Fuel pump, coming in. We'll see if it's the same thing. Boy I can see why it cost so much to have an issue like this repaired on the road.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
A good place that makes hoses can make a hose to be used with gas.

Outside the tank I think Gates Barricade hose will work.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Go to a place that makes hoses and ask them to make you one.

Talked to a local guy that makes hoses but he wasn't so positive how it would hold up to gas.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tractor supply.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a place that makes hoses and ask them to make you one.