cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace blower stops briefly then comes back on.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My furnace blower (in 2008 Hitchhiker II) will run for a few minutes, then the blower stops briefly (for one or two seconds), then it starts up again. This will happen several times while the furnace is running. After a while, the blower problem seems to disappear, at least until the furnace fires up again.

Also, I hear a sort of "clicking" from the thermostat. I wonder whether the thermostat could be causing the fan to cut out, or would some kind of sensor in the furnace be doing it?
4 REPLIES 4

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Furnace controls would not cause t-stat to go click/click etc

NO but a defective Tstat that is turning the flame off and on might also then cause the fan to go off and on as the temperature in the heat exchanger rises and falls.

The fan runs because of a thermocouple on the heat exchanger closing when the heat gets high enough......and then opening when it cools after the flame goes off.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermostat controls furnace not vise versa

T-stat should close (CLICK) when temp is below set point then open (CLICK) when temp is above set point.
Should NOT go CLICK/CLICK/CLICK/CLICK

Furnace controls would not cause t-stat to go click/click etc
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
check if its doing this with the burner on, if not there is a thermostat disk in the furnace that is acting up, that runs the fan untill it cools down...

This is the most likely culprit. But it really isn't a serious problem.
I don't understand the comment about the burner being ON.....since the fan should not run at all unless the burner is ON.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
check if its doing this with the burner on, if not there is a thermostat disk in the furnace that is acting up, that runs the fan untill it cools down...