cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace in our Heartland sounds like a foghorn when lighting

Mr__Black
Explorer
Explorer
Since new our fifth wheel has been very obnoxious when the furnace lights off. It makes this unusual tuba sound when it first lights. It often wont light off on the first try so you get to hear the tuba sound two or three times. Once lit fully the sound goes away and it sounds like a normal furnace.

This sound is loud enough that I have actually had other people comment on it and has me wondering if we are inadvertently waking neighbors up in the middle of the night.

Trailer is a 2011 Heartland Sundance. Furnace I believe is a Suburban SF-30. I've had this furnace before in other trailers and it never made this noise.

The trailer is at the dealer right now for this and other warranty issues. I am going to pick it up today and I just have a hunch that it's still going to make this noise.

To add insult to injury, my folks also have a 2011 Heartland Big Country and their furnace makes this same god awful noise. Commonality? maybe something in the propane regulator they're using?

Anyone else run into this?
Steve

2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 LB, Bone Stock. B&W Turnover / Companion. Airlift Airbags 57291. Leveling Kit. RS9000 Shocks.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
17 REPLIES 17

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the mud daubers, cost me around $500 for repairs on the water heater due to them. I had screens on all the lovers but one, it was the smaller louver on the left side of the access panel. New circuit board, gas relay, wiring and labor. I had the local mobile RV service do the work, and was very pleased with them. (Cost wasn't very nice but all is working)

I went to my local RV parts store looking for a screen to cover that one louver and low and behold, there it was the correct screen to cover it. You have to drill a 1/16th hole in one of the louvers to fasten the spring. when I took it to the counter to pay for it, the lady said they just got them in, and they were the first ones they had seen for that louver. I'll have to find the package info to remember you makes it.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for a blockage in the heat exchanger, like a mud dauber nest
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If mine doesn't fire off on the first try then it shoots out a very large flame from the side of the trailer when it does finally fire-up... Kinda scary when you see it for the first time... This gives off a loud WHOOOMP sound...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS