cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac iq2000 parallel kit == suicide cord?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm hoping beyond hope that this isn't a suicide cord, that there are electronic safeguards in that box:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
9 REPLIES 9

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Amazing how many people are thrown off feed by a simple L5-30 twistlock. My 3500W generator has one. The Honda eu2000i companion model has one. You can get adapters at any camping store or online. You can make your own adapter with a foot of 10ga wire and the proper plugs and sockets from any big box home improvement store.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
L5-30 outlet needs an adapter to do about anything. Never seen a device with this plug.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SaltiDawg wrote:
what does the following review mean?"Works on both generators but had to make a 30 amp pigtail for it otherwise i could get only the 15 amp plug that fit the kit now can use the 30 amps that both put out."
I don't know, makes no sense.

I do see in the pic that it's not the kind of 30a socket I could use. My blades are not curved.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Quite the opposite from Yamaha's $100 "Twin Tech" cable with it's weird safety banana plugs and pain in the rear grounding terminal.

Shrouded banana jacks, same as Honda uses.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Readily available from multiple sources - manufacturer is a "Brand Name."

Available from Amazon and Others

Three reviews at amazon - what does the following review mean?"Works on both generators but had to make a 30 amp pigtail for it otherwise i could get only the 15 amp plug that fit the kit now can use the 30 amps that both put out."

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Quite the opposite from Yamaha's $100 "Twin Tech" cable with it's weird safety banana plugs and pain in the rear grounding terminal.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Two simple relays makes it safe. Power on one cord allows power in from the other and reverse.
Of course there might be more to it to sync up.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there is a safety law that prevents such devices from being sold to the general public by US manufacturers.

Ebay sales is another story I guess...

If each 120VAC leg feeds a separate female pin on the 30A twist lock socket it is OK. I have a feeling however the two 120VAC legs from the separate 120VAc zones come together on one of the 30A female socket...

What you don't want to see if when you plug one 120VAC Plug it wll engerize the second 120VAC plug before you can plug it in somewhere... It will be a libe 120VAC plug in your hand...

You can find the RV50A such combiners as there is definitely two separate 120VAC socket legs on the connector. This one only has three sockets which will be hot-Neutral-ground feeding a RV 30A standard connection adapter...

I looked it up on-line by its part number and didn't find any schmetic of it there... It costs $140

Who knows unless you can find a schemtic of it somewhere

Just my two cents here - no expert advice...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
For $150 it should. Mine's nothing more than $23 of parts, and I have no intention of offing myself.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman