cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General charging question

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious about the possibility of "back flow" in a charging system, given the multiple charging sources on most RV's (shore power, generator, alternator). What keeps one charging source from potentially harming another? I know that solar panels should have a blocking diode for this purpose. Is there a similar blocking device on each charging source before connecting to to the batteries?
10 REPLIES 10

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

My solar plays nicely with the OEM converter, and the Magnum hybrid inverter charger, and the alternator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One of the nice things about Samlex's line of EVO Inverter/Chargers is that ALL connection from power sources enter into it and are "properly" handled ! This includes switching from shore power to inverter to generator for 120VAC and it switches from solar input to the built in charger for DC input. The AC power is certainly done by automatic transfer switches/relay.

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks wa8yxm! Exactly the info I was looking for!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jpratt2 wrote:
I'm curious about the possibility of "back flow" in a charging system, given the multiple charging sources on most RV's (shore power, generator, alternator). What keeps one charging source from potentially harming another? I know that solar panels should have a blocking diode for this purpose. Is there a similar blocking device on each charging source before connecting to to the batteries?

You are correct when it comes to Solar Panels. the charge controller will have a blocking diode on it's output

Alternators have at least SIX diodes

The Converter also has blocking diodes

So do all other charging sources.

A blocking diode is a "One way valve" for electricity. So though it is, in theory, possible for one device to harm another. ALL devices designed for RV use have blocking diodes. and most external automoative chargers as well

For one thing. the Diodes. are what makes DC out of AC
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Perdy simple if you ask me,.....
Their all charging a 12v system, its all about voltage.
A charging system can't tell the difference between a battery, or another charger, except the difference in voltage. If you have 1 charger connected putting out 13.8 volts, connecting another charger will see it as a full charged battery, and just go to float,......or if capable of a higher voltage, may raise the system voltage for a regulated time, shutting down the other charger completely. Equal voltage chargers may even share the charging equally.
12-15 volts is a 12v system voltage, whether its in a battery or another charger, it really doesn't care.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses. I have no intention of running more than one charging device at a time...I was just curious that since solar panels require a blocking diode, whether backflow was an issue with the other charging sources when they are not in use. Sounds like it's not an issue. Still learning.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I've had multiple charging sources (shore charger, solar charger and alternator) connected to the 12V batts with no big problems.

However I once had an adjustable power supply that caused a small drain on the batteries when it was not connected to shore power. Blocking diodes fixed that or, better, running it's output as input to a solar charger.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I had a transfer switch go bad during warranty and Entegra sent a mobile tech out. This guy was excellent and really knew about RV power systems. Some how we got talking about this. A lot of times in warm climates I would start the gem before disconnecting the power. His response was why take that chance, yes you can do it but he advised not to, as any issue could result in a major problem. Now I shut everything down and unplug before starting the generator. As he said why take the chance.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why would you try to connect, generator, shorepower and alternator simultaneously?

Generator and shorepower should have a transfer switch anyway as it can hurt your appliances if you mix power sources without special equipment to sync the cycles.

I suppose you might wind up hooking up the truck cable before unplugging from shore power for a few minutes but shouldn't hurt anything.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Panel diodes are to minimize partial shading losses
  • For the rest of your listed items they have inherent protection meaning it would take many hundreds of volts to harm them
  • There is no competition between charging sources
  • You could do well obtaining a primer on RV electrical systems ๐Ÿ™‚