cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator advise please

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 4000/3500 champion generator with will kit paid $409 with tax. Bought it for Labor day weekend and used it for 3 days pretty much straight. We got it for our truck camper we just sold that and are going back to tent camping. So, we don't that big of a generator to run a fan, charge cell phones, use coffee pot etc.

So, our friends have a honda 2000 that they have had for about 10 years. They had a popup camper and used it very few times for the things I mentioned above. They decided they didn't like the popup and sold it. The generator has been sitting for the last 9 years. He said he starts it up every once in a while, but its been 2 years since the last time.

They could use a larger one for a lake house in case they lose electricity.

So, do y'all think it would be a good trade for both parties? I don't want to take them and don't want them to feel taken advantaged of.

We have been best friends with this couple for 21 years. So, I know what he is saying is true about the honda.

Thanks for any help!
21 REPLIES 21

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Trade.....
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We still like to do some TENT CAMPING in our three room 12' x 15' JEEP BRAND tent now with my 2KW Honda Generator sitting secured in the tail-gate corner of my truck bed which is covered using the FOLD-A-COVER brand hard plastic folding panels.

What we do is use a good battery setup that stays in the truck bed area with an low wattage 120VAC INVERTER which runs all the things we want to have running in the TENT SETUP an then just have the 2KW Generator feeding a portable smart mode charger to keep the battery charged up to its 90% charge state for our tent camping duration.

Our three-room TENT setup looks alot like this google photo

Most places we go to allows us to run the generator a few hours each day.

Since the generator and battery setup is secured in the back of my truck bed they go where we go and makes for a pretty secure situation for the Honda Generator and extra battery/inverter setup.

Our truck bed setups looks much the same as it does when we are pulling our OFF-ROAD POPUP setup.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd want to see the Honda and try to start it. Then I'd check the output. Since you are tenting perhaps a 1000 watt would be even better?

Another option would be a sealed battery and an inverter. It would depend on on your tenting electrical needs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Whoever ends up with the Honda will have the better deal IMHO.

X2
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Whoever ends up with the Honda will have the better deal IMHO.
pawatt

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 straight up trade...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I would trade straight up
samsontdog:o:W