cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator advise please

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 4000/3500 champion generator with will kit paid $409 with tax. Bought it for Labor day weekend and used it for 3 days pretty much straight. We got it for our truck camper we just sold that and are going back to tent camping. So, we don't that big of a generator to run a fan, charge cell phones, use coffee pot etc.

So, our friends have a honda 2000 that they have had for about 10 years. They had a popup camper and used it very few times for the things I mentioned above. They decided they didn't like the popup and sold it. The generator has been sitting for the last 9 years. He said he starts it up every once in a while, but its been 2 years since the last time.

They could use a larger one for a lake house in case they lose electricity.

So, do y'all think it would be a good trade for both parties? I don't want to take them and don't want them to feel taken advantaged of.

We have been best friends with this couple for 21 years. So, I know what he is saying is true about the honda.

Thanks for any help!
21 REPLIES 21

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
I let my Honda sit for a couple of years and when I started it, it wouldn't run without the choke on. After the tank ran out and I put new gas in, it ran smoother, but still had trouble reaching high rpm's. By the time I got to the second tank, she was running like a champ.

My point: even if it runs rough, it may not need a carb kit. Put a load on it and run it for a while. I used it to power my leaf blower and shredder when I did my fall clean up.

seafoam..........
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Well, he said they are just going to keep the honda. UGH I guess will are going to just buy one.

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks everyone for the advise! I made the proposition to him but haven't heard back yet. I will let y'all know!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too would go for a straight up trade but ONLY after he started and ran that Honda for at least an hour with a space heater set on low plugged into it

(or perhaps high)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I let my Honda sit for a couple of years and when I started it, it wouldn't run without the choke on. After the tank ran out and I put new gas in, it ran smoother, but still had trouble reaching high rpm's. By the time I got to the second tank, she was running like a champ.

My point: even if it runs rough, it may not need a carb kit. Put a load on it and run it for a while. I used it to power my leaf blower and shredder when I did my fall clean up.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever want to sell the Honda, you'll have no problem. Whereas you may have problems selling the other. I would do the trade before he wises up.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the staying friends aspect, you could agree to borrow each other's generator for a while to see how it works out before actually trading.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'd trade strate across in a heartbeat. And then when you have trouble sleeping at nite, you could always go back and slipp'm a few bucks !! ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
You want portability and they want more capacity. If the Honda doesn't need a carb job then you both end up with turn key units that will serve your needs better.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
yep, whoever ends up with the Honda has the better deal.

you might want to get the Honda tuned up at a small engine repair shop...they last forever.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If the Honda still runs and has good output which is almost a guarantee, after all, it's a Honda. I'd trade for sure. I would feel I was getting a really good deal. Hopefully the other party would too because they were getting something they wanted.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a fair trade. The Champion is a good unit. One of the few imports that you can get parts for. Honda is a good long lasting generator. If taken care of.I would compare the Honda to the old Onan units. Built to last.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
IF the Honda runs fine and both parties gets what they want, I think it is a great deal. Each are getting something they can use for something they don't want.

The Honda is probably worth more than the Champion but the Champion is a good dependable machine if it fills their needs. Make sure they hear it run.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator