cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator conversion

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if it is feasible to convert an onboard Onan 4kw gas powered generator to run on propane, or even better dual fuel (gas and propane)?
Anyone done this? Your thoughts and comments appreciated.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad
14 REPLIES 14

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Properly treated fuel will not gum up a carb in one winter season.

Stabilizer needs to be added before filling tank fully and be ethanol fuel rated. Engine needs to be run long enough after adding stabilizer that it actually gets to the carb bowl.

I am not a fan of dry carb storage as my experience is the seals/o-rings fail from drying out/getting hard.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
You could always add a separate fuel tank for the generator, complete with a different fill spout. Racing "fuel cells" are one option and are extremely durable.

You could label this spout for the generator so you wouldn't have to fill the main tank with very expensive "Puregas"

You could even consider having a bottom drain in that tank for seasonal draining ๐Ÿ˜‰

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
BlindGuynAR wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Gas is easier to find, cheaper, and has more BTUs. If you're having carb issues, try running it dry before storage.

And drain the fuel bowl
That's the solution. It's what I do every time I put the trailer up. I use it very infrequently, maybe a couple time a year for an hour max. But I've never had any issues with the carb gumming or being hard to start. If you drain the float bowl, there's no fuel to mess stuff up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BlindGuynAR
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Gas is easier to find, cheaper, and has more BTUs. If you're having carb issues, try running it dry before storage.

And drain the fuel bowl
2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Or if there is a local airport, buy some avgas.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
If you really think it's the ethanol why not be sure it's full of real gas for storage? Try puregas.org.
That should read pure-gas.org.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you really think it's the ethanol why not be sure it's full of real gas for storage? Try puregas.org.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid disappointment I suggest researching the differential in fuel consumption between gasoline and LPG. Calculate how large an LPG tank you will need. It may stun you...

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
OP here: I'm really just getting tired of having the carb gummed up after each winter storage, despite periodic start-ups, from having to use ethanol-laced gasoline. These carbs are clearly not ethanol compatible. And yes, I do use a fuel stabilizer. I thought maybe propane would alleviate that problem. It would be nice to have dual fuel just as a backup, but it sounds like that's really problematic.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would stick with gas.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Onan does / did make a dual fuel carburetor for some of their RV units, I am not sure about the KY 4000 though I do know they also sell the same generator as the LP3600 (propane has less energy in it than gasoline)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I converted skid steers and fork lifts to run on both and many times they would come back because their job was over and when they put it back on gas the carb was gamed up. If you switch it back and forth often enough it will work but I would pick one or the other not both.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest straight gas or propane, I have had a ton of grief with dual fuel systems. The propane dried out the carburetor gaskets causing them to leak profusely when switched to gasoline.
Also keep in mind that power and fuel economy will drop about 10%. It's a tradeoff for the convenience.