cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator grew legs and need new, what is your choice?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My mid 1990's Honda generator grew legs from my carport. Only 3rd time since 1977 we've had any problems. Nothing changed in neighborhood, except one guy that has moved in with his sister while he's "looking for a job".

With the choices now, what would you replace with? I've always had good luck with Honda but noticed that Yamaha and Ryobi and several others on the market now.

Last trip out used brother in-laws Honda generators. No problem with one keeping battery charged up, running it couple hours a day. But couldn't run micro or a/c. Don't know the size, they were red, not sure if 1000 or 2000?

Anyways does Honda still own the generator market for RV's? If not what's best choice?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
42 REPLIES 42

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my Yamaha 2800 watt inverter genny. Very quiet and economical; with the economy feature, the genny only produces enough power to supply the load. My unit weighs less than 65 pounds.

Ray

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong Lane wrote:
The best way to prevent theft of your Honda genie is to store it in a Champion box!

And a sign that says " my neighbor has two Honda's "
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong Lane wrote:
The best way to prevent theft of your Honda genie is to store it in a Champion box!

Love this! Seriously though, can you store it inside? When we're out camping, we have a theft proof cable and lock wrapped around the handle with a theft proof handle adaptor to prevent that plastic handle from being cut. At night, it gets locked back inside the basement.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
path1 wrote:
Op here...

No, not going to file a claim with insurance.

Just found out the neighbor on other side had his little welder and air compressor taken, probably same day. All were taken during the day. I think this guy is watching from his sisters house when people leave and helps himself.

How is best way to mark your stuff so you can ID later?
Best to get advice from the police department when you file a report.

BTW keep an eye on the local Craig's list for the items.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
UV powder, Absolutely indelible with soap or solvents. Shine a UV light on the perp's hands. If they glow green, you got your suspect dead to rights.

My kids have the Chihuahua On The Roofยฎ, alarm system. infallible.

Total optical, olfactory, and audio sensor systems. Alarm sounds at greater db and frequency as target approaches house. Male & Female. Self replicating. Low maintenance, water and weatherproof.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Op here...

No, not going to file a claim with insurance.

Just found out the neighbor on other side had his little welder and air compressor taken, probably same day. All were taken during the day. I think this guy is watching from his sisters house when people leave and helps himself.

How is best way to mark your stuff so you can ID later?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
On this Forum Honda reigns supreme.

If you're after the absolute quietest Inverter type of generator, go Honda or Yamaha, if money is no object or a bank loan is acceptable to you.

There guys....... did I qualify that adequately ?

On the other hand, you may want to strongly consider a CHAMPION.

3100W INVERTER - 75531I @ $849

3100W INVERTER W/ WIRELESS REMOTE - 75537I @ $989

2000W INVERTER 73540I or 73536 @ $545

2000W INVERTER 73536I "BUNDLE" @ $1189

All of which can be found HERE .... with FREE shipping

Read this POSTING & check out the chart offered by jaycocreek .... & decide for yourself.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Set the next one on a piece of wood and connect a fence charger to it. A scream is a dead giveaway.

I like this idea. Can you wire one to 220? :B

separated1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Set the next one on a piece of wood and connect a fence charger to it. A scream is a dead giveaway.

How to wake up real quick in the middle of the night. :B

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Champion has an inverter genny available from Costco. They are about 50% of the price of either Honda or Yamaha.

Will you do an insurance claim?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't read many generator posts on here?

I think I'd be heading for the local pawn shops to see if it's there. Chances are it is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman