cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator or 110?

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2006 Keystone Raptor with a Onan 5500 generator. We got home and plugged it in like we have done with our other RVs. We had the 110 plugged in and started the generator and then here's where it all went wrong...we turned on the AC and a horrible sizzling noise came from the wall where there is a little metal box in one of the underneath storage areas. It did fry a fuse as well in the breaker box. QUESTION:Are we supposed to turn one or the other off when running the AC? I know we are going to have to have it looked at because it will not work any longer...sad face...
Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
X2 on the "You didn't do anything wrong".
I'll make it an X3. If there is some kind of incorrect cross connection between the generator and shore cord, you could have a "hot" shore plug with the generator running. If that were to be the case, whatever damage you incurred is preferable to somebody getting electrocuted.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

MrWizard
I do agree, that it seems a good possibly
Something was not correctly wired
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
You can't have a cross power situation if you unplug before turning on generator
And
If you turn off the generator before plugging in

Guess I'll never understand complacenticy and laziness
Brian did not know better the rest of us do know better

If shore power is not enough, I unplug before using the generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
BRIANnAngel wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Contact the seller and ask for help or to have them fix it.
Did you get any warranty?

Contacting them today once they open, they were closed yesterday and no warranty...As Is sale.
If it was properly tested on the lot this defect would have been discovered immediately.
I honestly think the dealer did some work that was incorrect.
This is not something you misused, broke, wore out, or neglected.
You trusted them to test the electrical system properly and the demonstration was incomplete.
If they continue to deny all responsibility at least ask them to cover labor or parts or something.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2 on the "You didn't do anything wrong".

If I'm working in the RV at home, 15A shore power isn't enough to run my AC so I'll start my generator. The transfer switch looks after switching to the generator (as your should have).

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
dsheets wrote:
No Brian, you didn't do anything wrong. There is suppose to be a safety built in to prevent what happen. Either a transfer switch which will only allow power to come from 1 source failed or your 110 power from the house was low and the transfer switch wasn't able to operate as it should. the key to look for is what happen when you turned the air on. Low voltage from the house may have been your problem. {15 amp/ 30 amp} If it was 15 amp circuit then remember the ac draws somewhere around 14 amps when running. Just my thoughts.

Thank you. The RV is setup for 50amp so we bought an adapter to be able to plug it in at home. After talking with some family members too they are saying the same thing... something with the Automatic Transfer Switch messed up. Hope to get it looked at this week.

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

Contacting them today once they open, they were closed yesterday and no warranty...As Is sale.

dsheets
Explorer
Explorer
No Brian, you didn't do anything wrong. There is suppose to be a safety built in to prevent what happen. Either a transfer switch which will only allow power to come from 1 source failed or your 110 power from the house was low and the transfer switch wasn't able to operate as it should. the key to look for is what happen when you turned the air on. Low voltage from the house may have been your problem. {15 amp/ 30 amp} If it was 15 amp circuit then remember the ac draws somewhere around 14 amps when running. Just my thoughts.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Had you ever turned on the a/c connected to shore power w/o the generator running ?
I don't see anything that tells us that the problem was caused because the generator was running. It probably would have happened as soon as the a/c was turned on, no matter which power supply it was connected to.

Yes, we tested both ACs before taking it from the lot. They both worked great with cold air. It has a 50amp system.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Had you ever turned on the a/c connected to shore power w/o the generator running ?
I don't see anything that tells us that the problem was caused because the generator was running. It probably would have happened as soon as the a/c was turned on, no matter which power supply it was connected to.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
BRIANnAngel wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
typically the generator has (2) circuit breakers and one circuit breaker is wired to feed the A/C when there is NO shore power
normally there is a switch manual or automatic to prevent cross feed
it appears that is not working correctly
when you turned on the A/C the two p120v power sources got connected togther thru the a/c

Thank you! That sounds like exactly what happened. When we went to pick up the RV they had to "fix" an electrical issue. They said a ground and hot wire was crossed. Thinking maybe some other wires might have been crossed too.

Does that mean the AC is damaged? The generator? I know we need to have it looked at but just trying to get an idea of what we're in for.

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
typically the generator has (2) circuit breakers and one circuit breaker is wired to feed the A/C when there is NO shore power
normally there is a switch manual or automatic to prevent cross feed
it appears that is not working correctly
when you turned on the A/C the two p120v power sources got connected togther thru the a/c

Thank you! That sounds like exactly what happened. When we went to pick up the RV they had to "fix" an electrical issue. They said a ground and hot wire was crossed. Thinking maybe some other wires might have been crossed too.

BRIANnAngel
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It shouldn't have been an issue if the Automatic Transfer Switch was working properly. And it doesn't sound like yours was. The sizzling you heard was probably coming from the switch box.

There was a big recall some years back for a certain brand of transfer switches, and it's possible that yours was on the list, but never got changed out.

Best thing to do is to dig out your paperwork and ascertain whether you can start and run the generator if plugged into shore power. Even if it shouldn't hurt anything, it's a bad habit to get into.

I would certainly take it to a knowledgeable shop/individual and have it checked out thoroughly. With any luck the only thing damaged was the switch.

You know what they say: "Stuff happens".

Thanks for responding. I'm shocked it let us use both until turning on the AC. That's when it messed things up. We learned the hard way but it will not happen again. Now to get her fixed...