cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Overload

PGCruisers
Explorer
Explorer
We recently traded the old '95 Sportsman for a '05 Cougar. The sportsman ran on two- 6 volt batteries, the new one has two 12 volt batteries. My problem is that my Honda 2000 ran everything fine on the old trailer, except the AC. First trip out with the new trailer and everything runs fine. Then with no additional draw the generator will ramp up to full throttle and overload. Right now we are boondocking and EVERY time I turn on the generator it shuts off.
My thoughts are that the inverter draws more power charging the two 12 volt batteries than the two 6 volt. Would going back to two 6 volts solve my problems?
Has anyone else had issues like this or can enlighten me to potential problems.

Mark and Tracy (Camping with limited power)
Mark & Tracy Payne-Grimes
2006 Ford F-150
2005 24 ft. Keystone Cougar
Honda EU2000i
2013 Spoiled Mini Aussie
11 REPLIES 11

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, need more facts.

If OP has a good inverter/charger, many offer a "Power Share or Power Save" programming option. This limits the amps of 120 VAC that can be used to charge the batteries.

And, as others have mentioned, an electric water heater element is a huge draw.

And automatic on the refrigerator will switch to ELECTRIC as soon as 120 VAC is on. Need to put it to GAS if you don't want it to switch to electric.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge being on automatic would cause me a problem once in a while. Once I remember to switch it to gas all seems to be well.

A 3 stage converter may pull you down, depending on other loads, until it kicks down a step. You need to turn off all the breakers but the converter and then start adding circuits one at a time until you find your current hog.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with everyone else. Make sure the water heater and refrigerator are on gas. Anything that heats pulls a lot of amps even at 120v.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rvtunneldanny
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the oil level in the generator? sounds like it is shutting down due to low oil or not setting level.
TT 2007 Nash 27T
TV 2007 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L 4.10GR
Honda 1000
Honda 2000
Champion 3500

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What make and model is the converter?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PGCruisers
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully that's not the case as Batteries are brand new
Mark & Tracy Payne-Grimes
2006 Ford F-150
2005 24 ft. Keystone Cougar
Honda EU2000i
2013 Spoiled Mini Aussie

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might check your batteries. They may be bad and drawing a lot of current..
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not your batteries. Your old RV had a low amp converter that did not draw much from the generator. The new RV has a proper converter that does higher amps when charging the batteries.

This means you can't run as many other things with the gen as well as charge the batteries as before until the batteries are charged up more and amps taper down enough to let the gen run those other things.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turn off the electric part of the water heater.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have an inverter/charger OR a converter/charger.

That 05 Cougar.......is that trailer 50A or 30A? (the 1995 Sportsman was 30A?)

I suspect you have a converter/charger.
Turn the 110V AC circuit breaker OFF that powers that converter (or un plug from outlet if it isn't hardwired to a CB)
Then fire off generator.......if it runs OK then problem is with converter OR those batteries
You can test converter by disconnecting battery cables......fire up generator....turn converter ON (110V AC circuit breaker ON or plugged back in)... If generator runs OK and converter output is 13.6V DC then batteries are problem
Have batteries load tested.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need more input.

You don't have your WH on electric do you? Perhaps by inverter you mean inverter/charger?. If you do have an IC the charge rate can be adjusted. The 2000 is capable of about 1800/13 = 138a of charging. That's a lot, and the genny would be screaming.

Sounds like something else is on, or the 12v batteries are shot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman