cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Tripping Inverter AC Input Breaker

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
Over the winter, I had a solar system with a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter installed on my FW. Over the weekend while boondocking I turned on the air conditioner for the first time since the inverter was installed. I have a 5500 watt Onan generator on the FW. When I first turned on the AC, it ran for a little while and quit. I noticed that all other electrical was off as well. I finally noticed that the AC input breaker on the inverter had tripped. I reset the breaker and the air conditioner resumed working fine some of the time. Other times, it would run for a while and the breaker would trip again.

I am leaving on a short vacation to an RV park with full hook up's this coming Friday and am not sure if the breaker will trip while plugged in to shore power. I am technically challenged and not sure whether I should take it in to have serviced. I was wondering if the generator surging at times to keep up with the demands of 2 air conditioners running in the heat of the day was the cause of the problem? Thanks in advance for any help suggestions on what could be causing the inverter's breaker to trip.
7 REPLIES 7

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
The only things wired through the inverter are: GFCI outlets, all other regular outlets, TV, converter & microwave. I always keep the breakers turned off for the microwave and converter. With the solar array installed, I really do not need the converter on and only run the microwave with either shore power or gen.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the generator. It will probably be the same on shore power. It sounds like the entire trailer's AC power is wired thru the inverter. The inverter likely is not made to handle that much power. The air cond. circuit(s) at least shouldn't be wired thru it.
However, this means installing an additional breaker panel and changing around a lot of wires which drives up the cost. I suspect whoever installed yours took the easy quick way of running everything thru the inverter. You will always have this problem if that is the case.
However, there are lots and lots of ways this could be wired. Without knowing the inverter model number and seeing the wiring it's really hard to be certain.

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
OP here again. Will the breaker trip when plugged in to shore power or is it most likely caused by the generator?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
OK... now it is time to verify the work.
If the inverter breaker restored power to the AC I can't imagine what else it could be.

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the blower only was wired through the inverter. The AC definitely is not wired through the inverter. I am not sure of the brand of inverter but it is not an inverter/charger.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Good answer. Verify that only those items you want to be able to run off the inverter are wired through it.

Certainly A/C's should not be wired through it.

If run through the inverter, you risk doing a lot of $$$ worth of damage to your electrical equipment.

Tell us exactly what inverter you have, and whether it is an inverter/charger AND whether it has a "pass through" feature and if you still have a separate converter, what do you have.

Then we can give advice on the way it should be wired.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably the inverter has a 15 amp breaker to protect the internal transfer switch. The air conditioner should not be wired through the inverter transfer switch.