Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator won't start

palmerjp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again

I removed my kohler confidant 5 from my rv. I connected it to an external battery and can of gas. It started (not easily) and ran quite well. it also produced power. I cleaned all terminals and jumpered the motor to the RV. Again it started and ran. I tried the remote start inside the rv and it started and ran.
I replaced the unit and now it won't start. It turns over quite well and seems to try to start.. Pulled plug and it is black. not thick, just a little sooty.
Tried to start it remotely and get nothing, nada,zip.
Where did I go wrong when I reinstalled the unit. I also made a new unit to chassis ground

Again Help
Joe
11 REPLIES 11

palmerjp
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
I assume the following:
Worked before pulling
Worked after maintenance
Worked prior to installation
Did not work after installation.

Didn't work when I bought it
Removed it
worked after maintenance
Did not work after installation

Part of the original problem was poor ground and corroded Pos terminal. Both have been remidied

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I assume the following:
Worked before pulling
Worked after maintenance
Did not work after installation.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Check your muffler/exhaust pipe for restriction. Sometimes insects build mud nests in exhaust pipes and the back pressure prevents the engine from running.
Had it happen on a weed whacker several years ago and it had me scratching my head all weekend.

palmerjp
Explorer
Explorer
Quick start didn't seem to have any effect(still have the house) I'm going to try new plugs as the ones ate sooty (probably from too much gas. When I started it when it was out of the RV I had to mess with the choke to get it running some times.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I see you posted while I was typing. So you already tried the fuel tank/bottle close to the pump? It takes 3 things to run Compression, fuel, ignition. You know the compression is good enough. It sounds like you are saying it's sputtering while cranking over so it would seem that it has ignition so is it flooded or plug fouled? Hit it with just a touch of starting fluid or gas just to see if it takes off. If it does, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't you need to see why the ignition wont light it. Be careful, garages and houses burn all the time from stuff like this. Just want you to be safe.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem that it's not getting fuel and wouldn't seem flooded because it sounds like it's trying. If it didn't have spark it wouldn't hit at all. Hook up a pop bottle of fuel close to the pump and see what happens. If it takes off you may be sucking air. Plug could be fouled. You should be seeing a nice blue spark not yellow ish.

palmerjp
Explorer
Explorer
Spark is good but plugs are black. It now turns over from inside remote but still won't start. I have tried a different gas source as well.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
did you check for spark.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
do you have enough fuel in the gas tank? some require more than 1/4 tank of fuel
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Line from RV tank could also be perforated someplace and the genset can't pull gas through it with its onboard fuel pump. Or chalking off inside and the genset is pulling rubber goop along with its gas. Or the fuel it's getting from the RV tank is stale...?

When you put the genset back in the coach, is that compartment a closed "box" or does it have plenty of ventilation for the genset's air intake, cooling air, and exhaust? Any chance the genset is breathing its own exhaust.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel pump or clogged line from RV gas tank?