cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gennie not providing power to coach

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
We checked into an RV park yesterday and discovered the power pedestal was inoperative. Electricians were called and have been working on it this afternoon. They thought they had it fixed and asked me to go inside and check it. I did, and our Energy Management System (EMS) was indicating 50 amp service available, but our AC voltmeter plugged into an outlet initially indicated 115-120 volts but immediately dropped to zero.

They gave up and called the local power company, but when I started the gennie to charge the batteries again I discovered the gennie was no longer providing power to the coach. Iโ€™ve reset its breakers and the main breakers but no joy. Iโ€™m afraid the electriciansโ€™ experiment with the low voltage might have fried the EMS or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
24 REPLIES 24

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
That's why the prefix

"IF you decide to change the relay"

Understood. I was very happy that wasn't necessary.
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That's why the prefix

"IF you decide to change the relay"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news that you got it fixed! Also good news that Xantrex now has technical support after apparently going without for a while back when.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Photos label tags and more photos...

If you decide to replace the transfer relay inside. Remove the inverter from the vehicle. Do the work on a bench with a comfortable seat. Super bright illumination and get a set of reading glasses that focus 4" in front of your nose.

I cannot remember which brand of inverter had Torx security screws T10 on the inverter shell.

The ID printed on the relay is tiny. This is where reading glasses are mandatory. Take several images of the relay in place before proceeding. It does not allow for oops.

It's not a difficult operation if you remain patient and organized.

I called Xantrex technical support and the pleasant gentlemen explained where to find the fuse associated with the circuit controlling the bypass relay. I was able to access it without removing the inverter from the coach, and sure 'nuff the fuse was blown. I replaced it and everything works normally. All this for a little 1/4-amp, buck-and-a-quarter fuse.

Thanks to all who contributed advice.

Jim
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

If you decide to replace the transfer relay inside. Remove the inverter from the vehicle. Do the work on a bench with a comfortable seat. Super bright illumination and get a set of reading glasses that focus 4" in front of your nose.

I cannot remember which brand of inverter had Torx security screws T10 on the inverter shell.

The ID printed on the relay is tiny. This is where reading glasses are mandatory. Take several images of the relay in place before proceeding. It does not allow for oops.

Thanks for the tips.

Jim
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Look closely on the unit. There could be a small white or red reset button
Manual

Thanks, Bud. There is a white button on the front, which looks like a circuit breaker but could be called a reset button I guess. Whatever it is, it is in and cannot be reset. And thanks for the link to the manual, but I already have the manual and it does not show where the transfer switch or fuse are.

Jim
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look closely on the unit. There could be a small white or red reset button
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
Generator and shore power not providing power to coach - UPDATE

UPDATE: Following the advice of several I have checked the transfer switch and it appears to be working.

However, I now suspect the internal transfer switch in the inverter. I have determined that while on shore power or genset both A/Cs work, indicating both legs are powered. But I narrowed down what is and isnโ€™t powered when on shore power, and it turns out the only items powered are those that are NOT powered when on inverter power. Everything powered by the inverter (e.g., microwave and those outlets powered by the inverter) is unpowered. Without shore or genset power, everything is receiving power from the inverter that is designed to be powered by it.

If you agree the problem is probably that internal transfer switch, how can I get to it to service/replace it? I have the owners manual but that doesnโ€™t help, and I canโ€™t find a service manual online. I understand a small (1/4-amp?) fuse may be the culprit, but I have no idea where it is located nor how to get to it. (Hint: it is not behind the convenient little connection panel on the front.)

My inverter is a Xantrex Heart Freedom 458 1500 watt.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Before inducing a While E. Coyote. Check pedestal integrity with a Kil-O-Watt. Campground in Saltillo had electrical work performed mid-day.

Hiroshima. Two weeks later the campground declared bankruptcy. The following month (or three) campground re-opened under the owner's sister's name.

I will not assssssume any EMS to be bulletproof when a thirty dollar thirty-second proofing before conncting will assure it.

Thanks for the reply. Never heard of a Kil-O-Watt. Does that test an outlet under load? I will look into that. I checked the pedestal outlets with my voltmeter, and it checked out fine with no load.
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Before inducing a While E. Coyote. Check pedestal integrity with a Kil-O-Watt. Campground in Saltillo had electrical work performed mid-day.

Hiroshima. Two weeks later the campground declared bankruptcy. The following month (or three) campground re-opened under the owner's sister's name.

I will not assssssume any EMS to be bulletproof when a thirty dollar thirty-second proofing before conncting will assure it.

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Confirm the inverter works off battery while checking to see what's wrong. Can you by-pass the EMS so the gen power can get through? apparently some EMS sets can be by-passed. (with the gen there would be little threat of a surge like with shore power)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the inverter is working just fine off the battery. I have not found any way to bypass the EMS (an Intellitec 700) for the genset.
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
Replace your EMS with one that protects against open neutral, for example the Progressive EMS-HW50C

The damaged (I suspect) Intellitec EMS is built-in from Monaco. I actually do have an external Progressive EMS-PT50C, but like an idiot I bypassed it temporarily while troubleshooting when convinced the pedestal had been fixed. It had not, at that time. Never again.
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD