cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFCI and ATS

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15 amp breaker that supplies the GFCI outlets. It also supplies all the outlets in the 5th wheel overhead bedroom. I want these bedroom circuits on an ATS (automatic transfer switch).

If I install the ATS on this circuit, will it work with the first outlet in the circuit being a GFCI outlet? To word it simpler, do GFCI's and ATS's play nicely together?

The ATS is a 15 amp Xantrex and the inverter is a Xantrex SW inverter.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
5 REPLIES 5

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
Thanks, I already did it and it works fine.

Sfla2, yes the whole panel is on ATS between shore power and generator. These 15 amp ATS are for individual circuits and are for transfer between shore/gen and inverter. With these two individual 15A ATS, all my outlets will switch to inverter if the generator stops or if I lose power while in campground. They switch in 80ms and most TV and satellite receivers can withstand the switch without having to be reset.

thanks for info didn't know abt those small ones
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I already did it and it works fine.

Sfla2, yes the whole panel is on ATS between shore power and generator. These 15 amp ATS are for individual circuits and are for transfer between shore/gen and inverter. With these two individual 15A ATS, all my outlets will switch to inverter if the generator stops or if I lose power while in campground. They switch in 80ms and most TV and satellite receivers can withstand the switch without having to be reset.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
CJW8 wrote:
To word it simpler, do GFCI's and ATS's play nicely together?
YES. No worries.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
CJW8 wrote:
To word it simpler, do GFCI's and ATS's play nicely together?
YES. No worries.

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
don;t understand ? whole a/c panel is on ats or should be. never seen a ats that small usually 30a or better
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)