cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFCI Has no power.

wbmoore
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the GFCI receptacle in the bathroom of my flagstaff 27 BESS.

There is no power to any of my 120v recepticles in the RV, although they worked fine the time before last that I took the RV out. This last time, there sinply was no power in any of the recepticles. The GFCI does not have a light on it and when I press any button, nothing happens. The trailer is connected to shore power. I have no tripped breaker. I have reset every breaker just in case. All fuses appear ok.
24 REPLIES 24

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
All of your receptacles should not be on the same circuit.

Should be or not, they often ARE, fed by ONE GFI breaker outlet.

He did not mention any other AC powered stuff failing; only the outlets.

The logical first thing to do is get behind that GFI outlet with a meter. (3rd person to suggest that).
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
All of your receptacles should not be on the same circuit. You can quickly check the outlets with a lamp that you've verified to be working. Your Air Conditioner will be on a separate circuit all by itself. You can check the power pole with a 30 or 50 amp adaptor to a 15 or 20 amp receptacle and a lamp.

If everything is indeed dead, check your Main breakers in your RV's power panel. Still nothing, check the plug then power pole breakers. Start with what's not working and work your way backwards to the power line.

You can make a list of what works and what doesn't. Write it down. Then make a simple drawing of your system, ie bathroom receptacle with a line to the power box, A/C with a line to power box. It's a systematic process, putting it on paper helps some people to figure out what's happening or not happening. Find the point where something works and then items stop working from there on and you'll have your problem area.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I need to modify this just a touch.
IN many Rv's there are a few loose screws. one of them was on a circuit breaker in my RV took over 3 turns to tighten Contact was NOT being made. (joke but you'd need to know the TV show to laugh).

Do you have an INVERTER... Recently had an RVer ask me for help. As we walked back to his RV I ask about an inverter. he did not know, We found it on the second try, i reset the breaker and he went in to check if things now worked. His wife ask if I thought I could help. He told her I'd already fixed it, I had.

On his the breaker was in the very last place I would expect to find it, THE FRONT of the Inverter :). (usually they are on the back where you can not see them) and it was a lever type, not a push to reset post type.

On mine the breakers are in a SUB panel in a different room from the main power box.

Next (back to loose screws) I once plugged in too much and burned a connection in a junction box. After repair that won't happen again (I kind of over fixed it), and someone else did the same thing, on the back side of the GFCI.

So, have fun, you now have most all the info I have on it with one final note

GFCI's have been known to fail
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to sound like a broken record but you need to check the source first and then follow item by item to the GFCI.

Meters are essential but a good, non-contact voltage tester is fast and easy to use. The advantage of the non-contact tester is that there are no leads to mess with and no contact with voltage carrying conductors are needed, the advantage of a meter is it gives measurements and that it won't read adjacent contact points.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
GFCI's do go bad. we had a similar experience. Several non GFCI outlets weren't working.
I popped it out and saw I had power on the outlet lugs.

Swapped it and lived happily ever after.
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would not expect one GFCI outlet to knock out power to every outlet in the trailer. Use a volt meter to make sure you actually have 120 vac to your circuit breaker distribution panel.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to troubleshoot electrical issues by looking at the outlet is kind of pointless. So is trying to troubleshoot via the internet. Get a meter, and learn how to use it.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an inverter that feeds those circuits, it could have a tripped breaker.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Could be a bad GFCI outlet. Had that happen in the sticks and bricks. Replaced the GFCI outlet and all was well.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked the breaker at the power pedestal to make sure it's on and not tripped?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate