cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GP-PWM-30 OVER VOLTAGE ERROR

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
Been having an issue with my GP-PWM-30 solar controller for awhile now and am finally getting around to messing with it with having a trip coming up.

As I understand the problem, I have and over voltage error, everything on panel is lit up and flashing. At night, the panel returns and reads normal......

I tried the soft reset (no luck) and am going to try and do a hard reset.

Being lazy and having no cardboard to cover the solar panels, can I wait during darkness to do the hard reset??

As I understand the hard reset procedures, I disconnect the solar wires from the back on the controller first and then disconnect the wires from the solar array.

And wait about 20-30 minutes

The reconnect in reverse order.... Batt wires 1st, then Solar array wires.......

Am I missing anything???
21 REPLIES 21

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

So, went out this morning and cked on everything, No bueno..... right back where I started.

So rounded up enuff cardboard and materials to cover panels, went thru the hard reset again and just uncovered 1 panel and same results, over voltage...

So my question is.....

Is it a bad controller or something else in within the solar/power/batt system ????

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likely you don't have switches and have to disconnect wires. My switches are next to the controller.

2-3V difference for a 12V battery system is HUGE. My guess is that one or both meters are inaccurate.

Roo wrote:
The battery voltage doesn't match that of the motorhomes systems control panel, 2-3 volts difference........
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
So, just wanted to add that I disconnected wires, let the controller sit for more than an hour and reconnected every thing......

BUT, it is dark out side, so to really know if it worked, I will have to wait for tomorrow and the sun to come up.

HOWEVER,

Playing around with the controller........

Conditions: Dark, Gennerator running.....

It is also worth noting, I have 4 batteries (6v), and 3 panels (not sure of the specs)....

The battery voltage doesn't match that of the motorhomes systems control panel, 2-3 volts difference........

Makes me wonder how that dealer wired all this mess and if they used the correct wire gauge and such. I am guessing that they put ALL 4 batteries on one bank/charging circuit :?

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
2 comments:

1. The solar controller should be connected to the battery and the battery disconnect switch should have no effect.

2. You should have disconnect switches on the solar panel wires and on the controller battery wires. Especially for controllers may require proper sequencing of these 2 switches.

In response to # 1, So then me hitting the BATT DISCO SW and then back on, should have had nothing to do with the issue, good to know, then not may fault/mistake ๐Ÿ˜„

And for #2, there are no "switches" that I can see for the panels OR on the controller battery wires, all the wires are connected to "other" wires with butt connections, or am I misunderstanding you???

I pulled out the wires from the wall as far as I could to take a look when I removed the controller, not much to see. Where the dealer installed the panel (dumb location:M), hard to see anything.

If the weather holds out, I will get up on the roof and look for, whatever there may be, But I am betting just the connectors from one panel to another and then goes down in to the interior of the motorhome.

I tried to navigate the mess of wires, in the battery compartment and under the master bed,(electrical panels/power transfer, etc, etc, etc) but there are sooooooo many, hard to make heads and tails of. Honestly, THAT will take a more of an effort and methodical approach (see previous post on me being lazy) and quite honestly, electrical stuff intimidates me

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 comments:

1. The solar controller should be connected to the battery and the battery disconnect switch should have no effect.

2. You should have disconnect switches on the solar panel wires and on the controller battery wires. Especially for controllers may require proper sequencing of these 2 switches.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Roo
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/GP-PWM-30-UL_Manual-with-French_2018-04-10.pdf

Perhaps the controller is right.

First, confirm with your multimeter if the battery bank is indeed at 15.5v or so.

Secondly, if it is, how did that happen? (Is something else charging the batteries that high? Or is your own voltage setting on the controller wrong?---it goes back to not flashing at night when the battery voltage would fall normally with no solar, so it just got too high during the day?)

Currently the battery is around 12.5v or so, been letting the batt's discharge thinking that may reset it (nope, didn't work).

I am thinking that when I hit the BATT DISCONNECT switch and then quickly back on, may have sent a spike to the batt/converter/controller/etc., and caused the over voltage, but honestly I am not sure, that is what I "think" may have happened.

Just by coincidence, I noticed the controller panel on the fritz after that, may have already been like that before from an actual OVER VOLTAGE, just not sure.

So trying to bring it back to normal and see if it happens again.......... then I will know better of what is going on, my fault or if there is and actual OV problem;)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/GP-PWM-30-UL_Manual-with-French_2018-04-10.pdf

Perhaps the controller is right.

First, confirm with your multimeter if the battery bank is indeed at 15.5v or so.

Secondly, if it is, how did that happen? (Is something else charging the batteries that high? Or is your own voltage setting on the controller wrong?---it goes back to not flashing at night when the battery voltage would fall normally with no solar, so it just got too high during the day?)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.