cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gray water joint leak

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
I have two gray tanks, so dump lines from each to the main dump. One of the lines leaks at the joint where it enters the main dump. Just a drip but not nice to have a puddle there. I have tried the Flex seal rubber and it still drips. Spent a bunch of time removing that and applying JB Weld water weld. Drips worse. The pipes are black and I assume they are ABS. If ABS, can the joint be disassembled and resealed? Or is it permanent like PVC? Will the whole dump assemble need to be replaced? Thanks in advance. Bill
5 REPLIES 5

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have offered great advice. I think I finally got it with an epoxy product called SEAL-N-PLACE By Versachem. Holding fine. Will see if it colds up on the road vibrations. Regards, Bill

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
get some thick ABS cement, and a piece of ABS pipe. Use a horse shoe file and make a pile of shavings of the abs. Mix it in the ABS cement to make a pretty thick mixture. Then clean the ABS joint with alcohol and make sure it is completely dry. Then do a final clean with MEK, or Acetone.

spread the mixture of home made thick ABS cement on the joint, let it dry, repeat a couple of times to build it up. Wear disposable gloves when you do this and if needed spread the ABS cement with your finger.

You could use just straight ABS cement just takes longer to build up and fix the joint, Your solvent welding so in addition to sealing the leak, it is welding and strengthing the joint.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy an inexpensive toilet wax ring and press into the leaking joint all around. If it stops the leak clean the excess wax off and apply ABS glue directly over the joint a couple times.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Assuming black ABS pipe then look here:
ABS repair

JB Weld Plastic Putty claims it works on ABS

QWhat ever you use clean the joint with solvent, I'd try the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol that is so common lately
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
The pipes are plain old ABS that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. Just cut out the leak and replace with some new pipe and fittings.

You might need to cut off and remove all the downstream section. Then replace the leaky piece and use a standard coupler to glue the cutoff downstream section back in.

If the leak is where the round pipe converts to a square plate for the dump valve you might need to buy a new square piece to glue in from an RV shop.

To answer your question both ABS and PVC can technically be dissembled and reglued. But it's way way more hassle than just cutting the part out and gluing a new piece in.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup