cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having rig towed

Retired_Sailor
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 National Tradewinds won't start after being in storage and replacing batteries. Get message that ENG ECO no data. I get some power to dash gages and accessories (fans, etc) but nothing on the start...no turn...nothing. Going to have it towed in to the shop since I was going there anyway for pre trip checks.

My question is the tow. Engine in neutral and air brakes set before shutting down for storage. Do the brakes release in this situation? I push the release but get nothing. IS there a manual release?

Freightliner XC Chassis, Cummins 400 ISL, Allison 6 speed transmission

Thanks
2006 National RV Tradewinds 40E
2008 Honda CRV Toad
8 REPLIES 8

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
The tow may be free, but you still have to pay someone to fix it.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Retired_Sailor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I do have a tow service so no cost to me. Mobile repair would be at my expense.
2006 National RV Tradewinds 40E
2008 Honda CRV Toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired Sailor wrote:
My question is the tow. Engine in neutral and air brakes set before shutting down for storage. Do the brakes release in this situation? I push the release but get nothing. IS there a manual release?

Yes there is a manual release.. And there may be an auxrelease as well

In the first case the driver will know how to release them (or should)

in the second he should know where to hook up HIS air compressor.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a towing service such as CoachNet, AAA,FMCA? If so, call them and get it towed especially with the fault code you see. A pro towing service will know how to inflate the bags, release the brakes and how to remove the driveshaft. Don't let them pull an axle to tow it. No need for a flat boy.

The trans is already in neutral, no biggie there. The brakes will have to have some air or the tow driver can manually release them. The tow driver will hook up an air line which will release the coach brakes and give him control of them from the cab of the wrecker

A RV experienced towing service is well worth the $110 a year cost. One tow could cost you 600 plus out of pocket without a towing service.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree on calling mechanic in, considering towing as last resort.
Don't see picture of the coach, but lot of those with air bags can be only trailered on low boys and that means $$$$.
Hope you have insurance for it.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
A mobile Mechanic will get it running far less expensive than a tow rig.
Sorry, I guess you knew that.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
a reliablbe towing co, will know this

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
the air system has to be filled with air, to release parking brake