cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Wiring

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Would this wiring diagram be correct? I have 2 6v batteries wired in series for 12v and bought a truck bed tool box to house them in thinking that one day I may want to go to 4 batteries and this will give me the room to do that. I also bought a 600w power inverter that will be installed in my front pass through. I chose a 600w model since I will be using about 400w of AC at most while dry camping. I bought and will have to install 2 power junction posts because the way the batteries will be housed in the box, the battery cables from the camper wonโ€™t reach the battery terminals. I also chose to go with a circuit breaker rather than a fuse for the inverter. I want to make sure before I start drilling holes and mounting things that I have the wiring correct. Thanks!

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
20 REPLIES 20

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, points well taken. I'll make some changes. Two more questions. Is there any advantage to using fuses rather than circuit breakers for both the inverter and/or the main trailer feeds? And, where does one find those splicers? What are they actually called? A google search didn't show me anything like them.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Correct in the fact that it will work.

Best is whatever method allows for the shortest path from the battery bank to the inverter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You still need a battery in the trailer to comply with the law regarding your emergency breakaway system.

Adding a Trimetric monitor to that will be difficult for locating the shunt.

Adding solar can be done by just running the controller's output over to the inverter's terminals, with the controller near the inverter.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Looks reasonable to me, with the exception that I would very strongly suggest adding (or moving) a main fuse before the positive lead to the trailer circuits. This fuse should be as close to the batteries as practical. I think it's particularly advisable here where the wires are going through a couple of holes and may be exposed somewhat to the elements and damage in general and have more than a completely trivial chance of shorting out at some point.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Curious why you want to run the + directly to the battery bank but the neg to the post? Why not be consistant?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I bought and will have to install 2 power junction posts because the way the batteries will be housed in the box, the battery cables from the camper wonโ€™t reach the battery terminals.

No need for anything fancy, just extend the length of each cable with more cable and splicers like these and enclose them in heat shrink tubing.

Wiring diagram is what I did except I do also have a separate cable running from the battery negative terminal to the inverter.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380