cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hold down screws for RV walls

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mount screws that hold the tension string for the big curtain over the dining set window are loose. Apparently the boys at the factory got a little carried away with their screw gun and over tightened them. Now they just spin. What should I use to secure these holders. The walls seem to be hollow and I didn't want to mess around until I got some advise here. 2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
8 REPLIES 8

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the ideas. I picked up some " Hillman Group 10/24 short jack nuts" made a little tool to pull up the back side. Worked perfectly!! Now I'm going to replace all the the downs with these. Won't have to do them again..

Thanks again.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If the screw is actually being screwed into air (hollow wall), then the hollow-wall solutions are good. If the thread is just stripped, I agree with wopachop - squirt some super glue into the hole and put the screw back in.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Thick CA glue is great to have on hand for all types of repairs. Fill the hole with super glue and drill a small pilot. Or put a tiny dab to make the hole slightly smaller.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the very short molly bolt. installed with the rivet gun made to work with them. that way you don't need to use the screw to compress the bolt, the rivet gun tool does that.

makes a very good long term solution and fix
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes an easy solution is to put in a larger diameter screw. It may require drilling out the bracket you're mounting a bit for the additiona clearance.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Hollow wall anchors, as already suggested, is the best "permanent" solution.

I've used a toothpick wedged in beside the screw as a temporary fix before.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Hillman Pop toggles at Home Depot. I'm using them for the same purpose, the factory screwed into just the wall panel and they are pulling out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-1-8-in-Pop-Toggles-with-Screws-6-Pack-376254/202243046

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the posts on this Forum you might want to do a Google search for `hollow wall anchors' where you might get more ideas.
I like the screw in anchors when the holding screw is inserted into the anchor after it is screwed into the wall. Use some candle wax on the screw (not the anchor) to make the screw go in easier and less likely to cause the anchor to spin.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)