cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home brew hybred inverter generator set up

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot had the tiny Sportsman 800/1000w inverter generator on sale for $157 right before I left Denver. Normally I'd stick to one of the big three but at that price I took the chance. I broke it in at home up to the point it could handle a 600w heater at 5000 ft, a friend at a rally finished the job using it to run a work light while he outfitted his box truck in Quartzsite.

I knew better than to think it could handle starting the little 5000 BTU A/C and sure enough it couldn't. My solution was to plug the shore cord into the generator with the converter on, and then plug the A/C into the inverter. That way the batteries took the surge and the generator then had no issues with the 450w running load. Normally I run the A/C off of the solar and batteries but it's nice to know I can use the generator should the need come up.

I know it will be asked. Noise wise the Sportsmans eco mode is barely quieter than not having it on. Under load it is comparable to the Honda 2000 under load that was in the next site.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator
20 REPLIES 20

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The little A/C is plugged into the inverter

MrWizard
Don't you mean, the a/C is running off the inverter not generator
The generator is powering the converter, this allows the batteries to supply the start surge, and the converter keeps the batteries charged
I think the confusing point, is where and how the little A/C is plugged in
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Opps, good catch BFL. I'll edit that.

I meant plug the shore cord into the inverter generator, not the trailer. Usually I have the shore cord plugged into the inverter for boondocking.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"... My solution was to plug the shore cord into the trailer with the converter on, and then plug the A/C into the inverter. That way the batteries took the surge and the generator then had no issues with the 450w running load"

Jim, the others seem to understand this, but I don't. ๐Ÿ˜ž Please explain what is plugged into what so that even I can understand it. EG, How do you plug the shore cord into the trailer? When you say inverter do you also mean inverter-gen like some folks do? Thanks.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MrWizard
Double conversion,
Just be sure the converter gets plenty of ventilation
The tripp lite inverter, is a work horse almost Bullitt proof

I killed a nice 9800 series 100 amp WfCo doing "unintentional" double conversion powering an electric heater, plugged into the wrong outlet, a k a the inverter
Did not hurt the tripp lite
Killed the converter, both in the same compartment, WfCo overheated from the continuous full load
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Yup, that's the ticket with such a small generator. It would run a small AC, but no way start it. Sounds like you got it "under control."