Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

melting temperature of waste tanks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Does anyone know the melting temperature for the black and grey water tanks? Thanks in advance.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since the tanks are enclosed it makes it hard to install the "made up" heating pads. There is perhaps 1 inch of clearance.

time2roll wrote:
The price of free can be crazy high when things go wrong.
How about just get a heat pad made for an RV holding tank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The price of free can be crazy high when things go wrong.
How about just get a heat pad made for an RV holding tank.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Hehehehe! I was going to ask what on earth did you eat......

Beat me to it!:B

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The bed heater comes with a thermostat that goes from 70 to 140 F. Clearly it was not getting any feedback. I do plan on an external thermostat set for 40 F. I know from previous testing that I'm good to -27 C (-17 f) with 600 watts of fan based heat, which was cycling off and on.

The risk is lack of feed back to the thermostat.

Your plan for an external thermostat would work for your application. The big advantage (in your idea) is that it can be mounted in direct contact with the tank. The โ€œpseudoโ€ feedback signal from the built-in thermostat is not telling the whole story in terms of utilizing it to control the heat pad. It is looking at the heat pad, not the tank that is supposed to be monitoring.

I understand the risk of failure and consequences should a malfunction come into play...but there is no really perfect design to address this. You can mitigate the resulting damage (should there be one) by using your existing water level sensor.

Use one of your level sensors (low, med or high) to control the heat pad. Use this to interface with the external thermostat. This will ensure that the tank is not empty before the heat pad gets a signal to turn on.

Camco makes eternal thermostat of different models to suit your need. Therm-O-Disc model 59T is sold by Home Depot. Last time I checked, it costs at about USD16.00.

It also comes with schematic diagram. PM if you need more details on hookup.

Requires a bit of technical skill, but at your level, this should be piece of cake.

Good Luck

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lay off that Habanero sauce if you're worried about your black tank melting......

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
RV tanks of all types can be either ABS or PE. HDPE can generally take slightly higher temps than ABS, but that can vary widely depending on the specific formulation of each. I wouldn't go above 60C (140F) for either.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The bed heater comes with a thermostat that goes from 70 to 140 F. Clearly it was not getting any feedback. I do plan on an external thermostat set for 40 F. I know from previous testing that I'm good to -27 C (-17 f) with 600 watts of fan based heat, which was cycling off and on.

The risk is lack of feed back to the thermostat.
Regards, Don

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to waste your energy reporting. My histogram shows every entry shows the thread is closely monitored by Admin.

By protocol, my Professional affiliation disallows me to engage (further) in this mundane exchange.

Good luck.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Another snide remark brought to you by the forums latest Troll: Happycamper

He wasn't responding to me genius. Give it a rest because it's getting old
Yes, it's getting old and I've reported him again.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your idea is a good one and you will not overly soften the tank . I assume you won't turn it on until the temps drop to 32F or less and that the 166F that you measured was directly on the inside face of the heater(that would interface with the tank). In that cold temp there would be a lot of heat loss getting to the inside of the tank so you won't see 166 F inside the tank. I would lay a 1/4 in piece of any plastic on top of the heater like a plastic bowl with water inside it at the temperature you would use the heater and them measure the temp inside the bowl to assure yourself you won't soften the plastic tank too much. Good luck with your project.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Another snide remark brought to you by the forums latest Troll: Happycamper

He wasn't responding to me genius. Give it a rest because it's getting old
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Hehehehe! I was going to ask what on earth did you eat......

Per your response to SCVJeff,

He had just his fruit loops for breakfast. Still digging through the carton for those giveaway toys.
Just a spike in his glucose and hopefully things will make more sense next time.

As for PT's query about ABS melting coefficient, I suggest looking up under ABS properties on ASTM (American Society for Testing Material.) There is also a section in there for military specs.
Right off my head, ABS is rated 140 degrees F. Your initial test at 166F is a bit pushing it. It will suffer deformity but probably won't melt owing to heat transfer to tank.
Also as I understand, most water bed heaters are rated 300 watts.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I do plan on using a thermostat. But feed back to the control may not be what I get when using a 600 watt fan based heater.
Regards, Don