cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 3000eu issue using a bonding plug

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own neutral ground bonding plug to use with my generator. I had it plugged into one of the outlets on the generator. When I went to use it for the first time, I had a spark and a bit of smoke very briefly come out from somewhere on the panel.
I immediately pulled the bonding plug out and the generator continued to run normally.
I double checked that the plug was assembled correctly and it was. Also there was zero evidence of any arcing or burning on the plug itself. None of the panel breakers tripped.
There was a 30 amp cord attached with a very light load.
Iโ€™m out on a road trip and maybe when I get back home Iโ€™ll take the panel apart and take a look for any arcing evidence.
Any ideas what may have happened??
18 REPLIES 18

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a duplex 15a receptacle and a 30a twist type. You used your bonded plug in one of the two 15a? but the 30a was occupied by whatever.

Ok, in a recent thread, it came out that there is something going on between the 15 and the 30 so they are not all the same wiring, so what you got was as though before you do all that needed work with the wiring in behind there, so when you bond a 15, it does not screw up the 30 --or whatever that was all about. ( It was complicated!)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Are you sure that the generator was not already bonded?

All Honda EU series inverter generators have a floating neutral.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that the generator was not already bonded?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have no direct answer, but just wondering why you made this bonding plug..?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman