cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda and onboard PSW inverter?

N8GS
Explorer
Explorer
Many inverter generators will sync up and run in parallel. As I understand it you start the first generator and then the second one sync's to it when started. My question is - could this work with an onboard 2000 watt PSW inverter and a 2000 watt Honda generator. I'm thinking that if it is possible it would work well for load sharing when starting the AC, eliminating the need for a second generator.
Has anyone tried this? Did it work or did it let the smoke out.
Ham radio 73's from Gale N8GS
2009 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, LB 4x4 Duramax
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS Pin wt.2900#
B&W companion
2 Honda EU2000i
400 Ah LiFePO4 batteries + 470W of solar w/ Outback FM-60 CC
Samlex 2000w PSW inverter
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
N8GS wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. I had not considered that the inverter would be the primary power source with the Honda providing supplemental power. I would want just the opposite so I guess its a dead end. But still it is an interesting subject and I have learned a few things from it. I try to learn something every day.
Get a Victron or Magnum inverter.

MrWizard
i think you can them as low as $1400

topic came up a while back
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I know the magnum inverter/charger hybrid gizmo has built in load sharing functionality which supplements either shiore or gen set power. The best part?! It's available now and can be yours for somewhere around $2000. Haha crazy money for that doohickey
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚

I learn

Then take a nap

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_M wrote:
the generator is charging the batteries and the batteries are powering the A/C.
I recommend running at higher voltage than 12v for doing that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Plug the air conditioner up to a large enough inverter to handle the inrush current. Plug the RV into the generator. Now the generator is charging the batteries and the batteries are powering the A/C.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

N8GS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. I had not considered that the inverter would be the primary power source with the Honda providing supplemental power. I would want just the opposite so I guess its a dead end. But still it is an interesting subject and I have learned a few things from it. I try to learn something every day.
Ham radio 73's from Gale N8GS
2009 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, LB 4x4 Duramax
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS Pin wt.2900#
B&W companion
2 Honda EU2000i
400 Ah LiFePO4 batteries + 470W of solar w/ Outback FM-60 CC
Samlex 2000w PSW inverter

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
*MY* eyelids are getting heavy...:)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of those $37 PSW inverters on blowout from Lowes. I'm thinkin' about it..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Personaly I would calculate a risk/benefit ratio. A lot of electronics would be employed including multi channel storage oscilloscopes and hyperfast fusing. Hundreds of hours of tests. Who knows how many generators and inverters would be sacrificed....for exactly what?

"Your eyelids are getting heavy.....you're now a judge in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Contest". They love you. One by one they approach and hug and kiss and....Zzzzzzzzzz

MrWizard
yes, i know, and i hope the OP understands
your 3-way sync box, was just a thought, for describing, a 2-way hookup
possibly using the inverter and one honda
personally i think, its too much work and too little gain, and a bit chancey
might toast both the inverter and the generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The posts above exhibit knowledge I cannot comment on.

But, even if it somehow should work, will you leave the inverter on, sharing the running load? If not, a single 2kw will be working very hard and very loud. If so, the load will be presumably shared, and you better have a lot of batteries or generous solar helping out.

I'm not trying anything like that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you road-runner.
Hmmm. fascinating about the Honda utilization of finals. The generator would therefore have to shake hands with the inverter meaning agree to accept inverter waveform. From that point on I can only offer conjecture and hypothesis. That and "three bucks at Starbucks" time...

However out of phase mis-synchronization tends to get hair-raising here comes the fire truck time...

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I may be wrong but is there a primary (alpha) and a Beta principle in inverter generator synchronization? They do not use the finals as a reference signal do they? Using finals would be risky interconnect cord vulnerability wise. If they use an intermediate signal, where and how would a person tap into an inverter circuit to find a readable signal? Heavy emphasis on doubt...
Honda and Yamaha use finals. Champion, I think, uses intermediate. Kipor originally used finals then switched to intermediate after Honda sued them. I'm noticing a number of newer "off brands" using finals. Makes me wonder if either the patent has run out or if they're paying royalties. The gist of the Honda patent is that a unit in the slave mode compares the phase of the current and voltage waveforms, using the result to adjust the frequency.
2009 Fleetwood Icon