cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda generators

Charm
Explorer
Explorer
Will 2 Honda 2000 Watt generators paralelled together start and run a 15,000 btu air conditioner. Also does Honda or Yamaha have more start up and running power.
20 REPLIES 20

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Luv2Q wrote:
Hoping this is still appropriate for this thread, do the paired EU2000s need to run only at full throttle (eco throttles off) to run the 13,500 ac successfully?

Reason I ask: I ran the ac with my new twins, eco throttles off, and the ac ran fine. Out of curiosity, I turned the eco throttles on .. and the compressor wouldn't come on. So, one of two things seems to be the case:
1. The paired 2000s must always be run at full throttle when using the ac, or
2. One or both of my generators have a problem.

Obviously, I have -0- experience with generators so will appreciate some input by those with more experience.
I had the same issue when I tried to power my 13,500 a/c unit with a pair of new Honda EU2000i's.

The only way to attempt to answer your question in any definitive way is by first researching the LRA for your specific 13,500 a/c unit. Typically the LRA data is printed on a data sticker inside your a/c unit, or topside on the compressor itself. If the LRA is 58-60 amps or higher, chances are there's nothing wrong with your EU2000i's. A paralleled pair of Honda EU2000i's have difficulty starting a/c units with an LRA much higher than 58-60 amps with the Eco mode on.

If the LRA is much lower than 58-60, then appropriate troubleshooting may be in order. IMO, voltage, inrush, and continuous current measurements at the a/c unit AND at the power source (using BOTH generator and good commercial power) will go a long way to establish a solid baseline for troubleshooting purposes.

There may be a problem with excessive current loss from the use of excessively long and/or improper "gauge" power cables, a defective electrical connection/termination (between the generator and a/c unit), too many appliances/devices operating at the same time as your a/c, a problem with the a/c unit and/or generator(s), etc., etc.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Single Honda Eu2000i powered 15k Carrier V. Turned off all parasitic loads in the 5th including battery chargers, stereos, TVs, etc. Attached the Honda EU2000i with a 10 AWG 3 prong extension cord trough the transfer switch in the front of the 5th. Started the Honda and turned off the Eco mode. Went into the 5th and started the air conditioner fan first then, with the AC fan running, turned the air conditioner on (Carrier 15k BTU) and compressor came right on. I let it run and cycle for a while after it reached 75 deg.

Performed the same test with the Carrier 13.5k in the bedroom with the same results.

I believe the keys to making this work are:
1) using a 30 AMP cord to connect the Honda to the 5th
2) turning off all parasitic current draws in the 5th
3) starting the AC fan first to reduce the surge when the compressor kicks on

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
About 1.50 per hour .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I'll throw a curve...

Using.three dollar forty cent gasoline as a benchmark. What is the cost PER HOUR of putting that 15K roof air to work with a pair of 2K Hondas?

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Honda EU2000 companion and a EU2000I. Our fifth wheel has a 15K A/C and a 13.5 . Our Honda's will run the 15K and TV and a few lights. But we cannot run both A/C's at one time. While running the 15K a/c ECO is off. We can run in ECO mode with the 13.5 . Hope this helps.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charm wrote:
Will 2 Honda 2000 Watt generators paralelled together start and run a 15,000 btu air conditioner. Also does Honda or Yamaha have more start up and running power.

First question: Usually yes.. Though I have heard of occasional issues I suspect there are other factors such as nearly dead house batteries causing the converter, in BOOST MODE, to suck some serious amps off theose generators (up to around 13 amps in some cases)

Second.. I do not know if they still make 'em but in the old days Honda had the 1000,2000,3000 where as Yahama had 1200, 2400 and 3600 IN all cases the model number was the PEAK output,, contionus output for the yahama's were about the peaks for the Honda

So Yahama USED to make the more powerful.. but I do not know if that is still the case.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
While I like the lighter concept of the 2000's my wife isnt going to pull a cord to try to start it when Im not around so I went with the eu3000i. Yes its heavier but I put it in place and it runs longer than the standard tanks in the 2000's. As far as ac is concerned you dont need 4000 watts to run it, just need the power to kick the compressor on then the power demand drops.I have installed a "hard start kit" in my ac which are larger capacitors. They charge up then kick over the ac nicely.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turning eco off does not cause the generator to run at full throttle. With the eu2000i it boosts the idle speed from 3,000 rpm to 4,300 rpm, vs. a maximum of 5,000 rpm. Spinning at the higher idle speed gives the generator more kinetic energy to burn off until it's able to respond with more throttle when hit with a large load. Every setup is different. Sounds like you need to run yours with eco off. You could also be powering other loads like the fridge if the switch isn't on "gas only".
2009 Fleetwood Icon

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
What was wrong with the answers you got 4 days ago in TT?
Maybe he can't find the thread ๐Ÿ˜‰

Luv2Q
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping this is still appropriate for this thread, do the paired EU2000s need to run only at full throttle (eco throttles off) to run the 13,500 ac successfully?

Reason I ask: I ran the ac with my new twins, eco throttles off, and the ac ran fine. Out of curiosity, I turned the eco throttles on .. and the compressor wouldn't come on. So, one of two things seems to be the case:
1. The paired 2000s must always be run at full throttle when using the ac, or
2. One or both of my generators have a problem.

Obviously, I have -0- experience with generators so will appreciate some input by those with more experience.
Regards from TX ..
.. John

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Charm wrote:

I'd just go with the Hondas, just because they are the de facto standard, and you can get an extended run tank for them. Plus, if you need more wattage, Wise Sales offers a triple Honda eu2000i parallel kit.

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha generators. However, I would say Honda is better in the fact that parts and service availability is a lot better for those.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Charm wrote:
Also does Honda or Yamaha have more start up and running power.

Go to each manufacturer's website and look at the specs.
Bob

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Charm wrote:
... Also does Honda or Yamaha have more start up and running power.

Which Yamaha are you referring to?

I had a Yamaha 2400 and sold it because it wouldn't reliably start my A/C. If it had an "eco" switch like the Hondas do, it would have worked though.
When I sold it, I went back to Honda EU2000i and bought pair of them.

They are much easier to move around than the Yamaha too.
Spring/fall camping, I only tote one with me. If I am going where I know I will want A/C in the summer, I take both.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
campn4walleye wrote:
Besides some folks just keep asking until they get the answer they want.
Hard to say, as this OP doesn't respond.

Some folks just plain forget they posted, and some cannot find their posts. Seen that on here more than a few times.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman