Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Water Element Problem

TheCanuckian
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my simple problem....

My hot water tank has a 1500w/120 Element. We have hard water. Every year, it burns out. Only mine, none of the neighbors.....

Why? Any ideas?

As usual, thanks for your help !!

PS...Just changed it today, for the fourth year in a row !! Never changed one in 30 years of camping in Travel Trailers, Motor-homes,etc, etc
2014 Bighorn 5th Wheel ---- 2012 Cedar Creek Cottage

Marc and Linda -2 Yorkies- LuLu and LollyPop

Endless Summer.... Quebec and Florida

Visit our Blog - The Canuckian๐Ÿ™‚
11 REPLIES 11

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
water heater elements come in varying lengths. If the watts per foot is too great it will overheat the element. Is yours about 7" long? either look for a longer one that will fit or reduce the wattage to 1000 watts. Is the hardness building up on the element and making it overheat because it can't get rid of the heat? Sounds like it is. Maybe a fine micron filter in your water line might help also.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
hardint wrote:
I never heard of the orientation of the element of importance before , please elaborate ???

The element in RV water heaters is so close to the bottom of the tank, the mineral deposits can be stirred up and land on the element. With the element vertical, the deposits just fall away- with it horizontal, they will short out the element.
-- Chris Bryant

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any chance that the water level in the heater tank changes and exposes part of the element?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
hardint wrote:
I never heard of the orientation of the element of importance before , please elaborate ???

Ditto.

In my three decades of plumbing, this is nothing I have ever heard of of. It sounds like one of those practical jokes you play on a green helper -- like a 2x4 stretcher.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

hardint
Explorer
Explorer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Are you making sure you install it with the element vertical? It's important to note the orientation, and install accordingly.
-- Chris Bryant

TheCanuckian
Explorer
Explorer
We turned the tank on April 14. It burned out yesterday !! Every year, when we winterize, I take it out and fill the hole with an old element. When we return,change the element, turn on the water, refill the tank and wait 24 hours before we turn it on. Every year, it works fine for a month or so, and then....pfffffffttt !!

As we say in Quebec..... Mystery and Gum Balls !!
2014 Bighorn 5th Wheel ---- 2012 Cedar Creek Cottage

Marc and Linda -2 Yorkies- LuLu and LollyPop

Endless Summer.... Quebec and Florida

Visit our Blog - The Canuckian๐Ÿ™‚

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just changed mine after 8yrs. even with hard water,ours is well water. it should last longer.

MrWizard
moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with SCH911. Thats about the only thing that burn one up... You are probably draining the water for winterizing. Maybe somehow it gets turned on after you have drained the water.

Maybe install a MASTER SWITCH real close to electric element and throw that switch OFF when you drain the water for winterizing... I think I have a couple of spots in the trailer that reads HOT WATER ON-OFF...

????
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance you're leaving it powered when there is no water in the tank? It'll burn out in a few minutes if that happens...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad