cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How remove inside window trim?

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Layton fifth wheel and need to replace a piece of paneling around the window. I can figure out how to remove the inside window trim so I can fit the paneling close to the window. Hopefully the picture uploads.

Bob

15 REPLIES 15

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
The windows are just single pane.

Bob

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Bob

Those single or dual pane? If any dual pane are any fogged?

Thanks
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, actually I put a strip of Butyl around the window, then another strip around the opening. So, I made sure it was a snug fit.
I also, bought Stainless Steel screws, 1 1/4" so it had more bite.
I am replacing all my existing "water entry" points. IE: range vent, water inlet, cable etc.
Wasn't impressed with the "external outlet" mod... No Butyl, no gasket. No wonder I had a leak there too...
It is amazing what "You Dont Know" until you actually open it up.

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
Mine all had butyl tape. I ordered some off of Amazon, but they only had 1/8", so I doubled it up to fill the void on the window. I did the door, cable connection and an electrical box. I'm going to buy more and get all window resealed before winter comes this fall.

Bob

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
Bad news. I finally pulled the window out...
First they did not use Butyl tape, they used a foam gasket, hence it leaked. AND, they STAPLED the internal frame to the window frame...
So, it looks like all windows have to come out, for two reasons...
I know they used a foam gasket for the seal, and to remove the inside window trim.
But, I have to be ready with the inside window, since I have to have the paneling ready to be put up before I put the window back in...

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the window this week and the inside trim is just nailed into the window opening in the inside. Wasn't hard to do. Now to find some new tape and put it all back together.

Bob

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
I have pulled the rubber molding off the outside of the window, yes there are screws about very 6 inches, which leads me to believe that I have to pull the window out to get to the inside frame...
๐Ÿ˜ž
SInce I pulled ALL the panelling I will need to pull ALL the windows. I will start with a small one first I guess. Not happy with that. Will update when I actually pull window.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator,

What's the best sealant to use?

bob

navegator wrote:
Check the out side of the window, see if there is a rubber molding that fits in a channel, the rubber is covering the retainer screws, make sure that you use enough sealing material when reassembling.

navegator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Check the out side of the window, see if there is a rubber molding that fits in a channel, the rubber is covering the retainer screws, make sure that you use enough sealing material when reassembling.

navegator

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
I'll let you know when I find out. Too many other things going on right now to do it. Had wanted to do it this past weekend.

Bob

hannaloulou111 wrote:
This looks like the windows in my 95 Dutchman.
๐Ÿ˜ž
I too have pulled the paneling and need to replace, but there are NO screws on the inside, I really hope that I do not have to remove the whole window just to redo the paneling.
If you find out how to do this please let me know. If not, I will let you...

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
This looks like the windows in my 95 Dutchman.
๐Ÿ˜ž
I too have pulled the paneling and need to replace, but there are NO screws on the inside, I really hope that I do not have to remove the whole window just to redo the paneling.
If you find out how to do this please let me know. If not, I will let you...

unioncreek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for the info. I haven't had too much of a chance to investigate removal of the window frame. I wasn't able to find replacement paneling so We just going to replace a couple of sections by the door and window and my wife said she'll paint it an accent color.

Bob
From the dry side of WA

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Usually there are screws on the inside frame that screw through to the outside frame pulling the two together. Do you have screws on the outside screwing into the inside frame? They are usually about every 6 inches.

Bill

X 2...And if it is like my windows.

Just be careful with the window as it can fall out with "clamp ring" or "compression ring" removed and fall to the outside. RV windows cost plenty and usually have to be ordered. Doubtful it will fall as it should have some caulking which would prevent it from falling. But don't give it a chance. If you have or had a leak from around that area it might be weak. There might be some very little small barely visible numbers and letters at one of the corners. Write it down and hope you don't need it.

Then stick up whatever material your using as replacement and then go outside and trace the area of window and then it cut out.

Hope you more lucky than I was on getting replacement paneling the same color and texture.

Keep us posted
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"