cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how to tell if i should re-coat my roof ?

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
hi

this winter I bought a 2008 Keystone Everest ... There was lots of snow so I was not able to check the roof properly... And now that I'm looking at it I'm wondering its condition?

Can someone help me evaluate and give me some more basic information about roofing on a fifth wheel?

I did not understand about the chalking and I thought that more uniform and not have bubbled joints etc.

so basically I am wondering how long my roof should last and how to tell if it should be recoated ( hopefully before having to replace )

here's a video
https://youtu.be/irj3lhaEIcs

thanks
10 REPLIES 10

map40
Explorer
Explorer
nykolas wrote:
thanks for the info I will definitely look into them:)

I was wondering if you ever tried liquid roof? www.epdmcoatings.com

before your message I had narrowed it down to this one ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know your thoughts

map40 wrote:
Just to share my experience. I have an RV rental fleet and I have tried every type of roofing material known to man. I have redone at least 25 roofs (EPDM or TPO) with all sorts of products, from the ones designed specifically for the application and the ones designed for other applications. For example, I have used Thorugh-the-roof, which is the best roofing materials for transparent surfaces, like the skylight. So far the best I used was the materials basen on Polyurea (truck bedliner stuff, like Rhino-liner).
The last one I tried has proven better and has become my new favorite. US Coatings RV Roof 100% high solids silicone. 2 layer application and the result is incredible. I saw the material at work and it looked great for the roof a one of our buildings, so i asked them about RV applications and they told me they have a kit with what I need that is developed for EPDM and TPO. I tried on one of my small fleet RVs and it worked great. In theory, it is a 20 year warranty material, and after working with it, I believe it.
I am getting ready to do my Alfa next, I'll document and post.
I got it from US Commercial Coatings in Florida (1-800-779-0821). I even believe they can do the application. I saw what they did at the plant and they worked great.
Needless to say, I have no commercial affiliations with them.
Hope it helps.

Yes I have. The most important part is the preparation. It is not bad, but after a few years it started cracking. When I talked to them they gave me several reasons why it could be happening, but I believe that that was the normal life of the coating.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info I will definitely look into them:)

I was wondering if you ever tried liquid roof? www.epdmcoatings.com

before your message I had narrowed it down to this one ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know your thoughts

map40 wrote:
Just to share my experience. I have an RV rental fleet and I have tried every type of roofing material known to man. I have redone at least 25 roofs (EPDM or TPO) with all sorts of products, from the ones designed specifically for the application and the ones designed for other applications. For example, I have used Thorugh-the-roof, which is the best roofing materials for transparent surfaces, like the skylight. So far the best I used was the materials basen on Polyurea (truck bedliner stuff, like Rhino-liner).
The last one I tried has proven better and has become my new favorite. US Coatings RV Roof 100% high solids silicone. 2 layer application and the result is incredible. I saw the material at work and it looked great for the roof a one of our buildings, so i asked them about RV applications and they told me they have a kit with what I need that is developed for EPDM and TPO. I tried on one of my small fleet RVs and it worked great. In theory, it is a 20 year warranty material, and after working with it, I believe it.
I got it from US Commercial Coatings in Florida (1-800-779-0821). I even believe they can do the application. I saw what they did at the plant and they worked great.
Hope it helps.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Hope it helps.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I used Henry 287 without primer on my previous rv... Recommended by a roofing supplier in Phx. That rv was in phx for nearly 5 years after I coated it and it still looked like I had just done it. I got Henry 587 this time cuz it's more reflective. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Rubber roof

ajriding wrote:
Rubber or aluminum roof?

Caulking (Lap sealant is what you should use on most of the camper) should be done or inspected every year, and redone every 2-3 yrs. It does not last.
The roof possibly a re-coat every 2 years will not hurt on aluminum. It goes on pretty thin so will not last as long as you think it should.

Water leaks is what kills campers,and is by far the #1 cause of death..

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rubber or aluminum roof?

Caulking (Lap sealant is what you should use on most of the camper) should be done or inspected every year, and redone every 2-3 yrs. It does not last.
The roof possibly a re-coat every 2 years will not hurt on aluminum. It goes on pretty thin so will not last as long as you think it should.

Water leaks is what kills campers,and is by far the #1 cause of death..

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Heng's Rubber Roof Coating

I used 2 1/2 gallons to apply 2 light coats on 30' of roof.
It's holding up well. No primer is needed.
Shop around for the best price.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I re-coated my 14 year old roof with Hengs. It's in its second season now and still looks good. The original roof had chalked off most of the white in many places and was extremely hot to walk on during the re-coating process. I also noted that the trailer stays soooo much cooler now too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Craig ๐Ÿ™‚ which product did you use?

C Schomer wrote:
My previous 5er was about 10 y.o. And this one is 11 y.o. When it was/is time. Both were in Az. For about half their life's. I figure when they have the fine checking and it blows off with a pressure washer, it's time. Neither of them got down to the black layer when washed, so I caught them at a good time. The pressure washer cleans them really good and the texture after the checked layer is blown off is great for holding the new coating. The coating I used on the last one was way tougher that the Epdm and the best thing... No more chalking. The wifey had knee surgery so I've been working on cleaning and recaulking our current one and I'm almost ready for the coating. The prep is the worst part! Craig

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My previous 5er was about 10 y.o. And this one is 11 y.o. When it was/is time. Both were in Az. For about half their life's. I figure when they have the fine checking and it blows off with a pressure washer, it's time. Neither of them got down to the black layer when washed, so I caught them at a good time. The pressure washer cleans them really good and the texture after the checked layer is blown off is great for holding the new coating. The coating I used on the last one was way tougher that the Epdm and the best thing... No more chalking. The wifey had knee surgery so I've been working on cleaning and recaulking our current one and I'm almost ready for the coating. The prep is the worst part! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!