cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How water heater shutting off

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Attwood, Manual light hot water heater. This is my first camper as we just purchased it a few months ago. My problem is that the hot water heater keeps shutting off. I can easily light the pilot and it will usually stay lit for several hours doing a good job of warming the water. Then at some point in time we hear a fairly loud popping sound and the pilot goes out. I replaced the thermocoupler but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

The furnace continues to work fine so I know that it isn't a matter of the source of propane. After it shuts off I can re-light the pilot without any problem and it will typically stay lit for several more hours. I don't think that the wind is a problem as it seems to happen regardless of the wind conditions.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
allkidd wrote:

The furnace continues to work fine so I know that it isn't a matter of the source of propane. .....

Thanks!

This in itself is no guarantee you do not have an oil trap in the copper line to the WH. An oil trap can be temperature dependent, if warm it can pass gas but not when it is cold because of changing viscosity.

HAPPY_CAMPER_IN
Explorer
Explorer
its being blown out by main burner flame. same as other guy. when i hear it pop at ignition or shutoff, i check and pilot is out. the burner is causing it to go out....just not sure what i can do to stop that "pop".....hoping someone hear can point me in right direction

1fastdad
Explorer
Explorer
Check and clean all electrical connections.

HAPPY_CAMPER_IN
Explorer
Explorer
hi, i;ve been having identical problem since i got tt last year. the heater was just replaced also, just before i got it. wondering how you made out with this?

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses!

When I installed the thermocoupler I cleaned everything that I could but probably missed some vital areas. I have the manual so will pull it out and see if it addresses cleaning.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dbl. post.....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pilot Flame size is regulated by gas pressure and pilot orifice
It should be high enough to engulf the thermocouple

The gas pressure, air shutter cleanliness of the burner tube and orifice regulate the main burner flame.
The main burner flame should be mainly blue with a trace of yellow and fairly quiet.
If it is not, adjust the gas pressure to 11" W.C., ensure that the main burner air shutter is 1/4 way open and verify that the main burner flame spreader is square to the end of the main burner.

A good cleaning (using a small bottle brush not just blowing air) of burner tube and combustion/exhaust chamber usually will resolve most pilot/main flame problems. Clean orifices using alcohol and blowing air thru them.

Service Manual LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
In agreement with cleaning. I wonder if the pilot flame is too small?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it needs a good cleaning/maintenance. The pop might be when the main burner goes to light it is actually blowing out the pilot. If you have a manual look for the cleaning procedure or Google the water heater model number to find an online manual.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900