cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HWH Levellers reluctant to retract in cold weather

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping in below freezing weather this weekend, and when preparing to leave the rear levelers would not completely retract after about 10 minutes. They were adequately retracted to be able to drive, but the alarm was still on and the green light for OK to travel was not on.

This has occurred before while camped overnight in a snowstorm and 20F weather in Glacier NP last year. We then drove for a few miles, and then cycled the system up and down, when it then completely retracted and the indicator / warning lights showed the correct status.

We did the same thing this time, and the levelers then completely retracted and the indicator / warning lights showed the correct status.

Any thoughts about what is happening?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rcmiller32 wrote:
If your unit uses the AFT fluid you can change it out for full synthetic ATF fluid. It will flow better at colder temperatures. Might have to empty fill, run then empty and refill to swap most of the fluid out.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml23835.pdf

HWH fluid for LOW temps (synthetic). Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Doug. . . I'll try to be more patient and plan ahead. I assume that I have 24,000 jacks on my W24 chassis and will expect 13 minutes when it's below freezing.

From the Manual: DO NOT ESTIMATE TIMES. USE SOME TYPE OF WATCH TO DETERMINE THE RETRACTION TIME OF THE JACKS.

Thanks everyone.

You probably have 2-9000lb in front and 2-12,000lb in the rear. Doug

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
If they don't retract enough to be able to drive, you can manually push them back into place by using a tire block and a 4-6' length of 2x4. Place the tire blocks or piece of firewood in front of the jack and use the 2x4 as a cantilever and push the jack back into position. Many an RV'r use this method in an emergency or when the return springs weaken, while they save money to replace the springs. If the jacks are hydraulic, they can always be raised by pushing the fluid back where it came from. Just a quick tip to justify keeping a longer length of 2x4 in the RV.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
If your unit uses the AFT fluid you can change it out for full synthetic ATF fluid. It will flow better at colder temperatures. Might have to empty fill, run then empty and refill to swap most of the fluid out.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Doug. . . I'll try to be more patient and plan ahead. I assume that I have 24,000 jacks on my W24 chassis and will expect 13 minutes when it's below freezing.

From the Manual: DO NOT ESTIMATE TIMES. USE SOME TYPE OF WATCH TO DETERMINE THE RETRACTION TIME OF THE JACKS.

Thanks everyone.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let the jacks retract as far as they can in 5 minutes, then re-level the rig. Then let retract, you may have to cycle them several times to warm up the fluid. Warm fluid flows much better.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
THIS is HWH retraction times for various temps. Freezing temps causes slow retraction times. Doug

http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi9553.pdfTEMPERATURE RANGE (FAHRENHEIT) JACK SIZE ALLOWABLE RETRACTION TIME
1. ABOVE 60 DEGREES 6,000 and 9,000# JACKS
12,000 and 16,000# JACKS
24,000# JACKS
FOUR (4) MINUTES
FIVE (5) MINUTES
SEVEN (7) MINUTES
12,000 and 16,000# JACKS
2. BETWEEN 30 DEGREES 6,000 and 9,000# JACKS
24,000# JACKS THIRTEEN (13) MINUTES
NINE (9) MINUTES
SEVEN (7) MINUTES
AND 60 DEGREES
12,000 and 16,000# JACKS
6,000 and 9,000# JACKS
AND 30 DEGREES
24,000# JACKS
3. BETWEEN 0 DEGREES
EIGHTEEN (18) MINUTES
TWENTY SIX (26) MINUTES
FOURTEEN (14) MINUTES

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
HWH jacks are NOT fluid level sensor. They are a Magnetic switch on top of each jack. Doug

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

The "Jacks down" light is actually a fluid level switch, that thinking is when the fluid is in the jacks, they 'are down'. Unless the fluid shrinks and has less volume when cold, or there is a leak in one jack seal, and the fluid will never return, while all the jacks are really up.

As the engine warms, in my case the reservoir is close enough that it will warm the jack reservoir, and will indicate jacks up after a short drive.

Be sure to visually check the jacks are up all the way. If you need to, add 1/4 quart of transmission fluid, and then the 'jacks up' indicator will be happy, and the light will turn off.

Yes hydraulic fluid does move slower on cold days than warm ones, but still the jacks should retract in a few seconds, cold or not.

One time I had a leaking seal, and did not have any transmission fluid with me to put in the reservoir. So I had to find the tiny 10 amp fuse going to the reservoir switch, pull it out, and then could drive on, without the beeping and light flashing. You might want to locate that fuse, so you can pull it in the event of a low fluid level, and you are miles from anyplace!

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com