cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing TT radio with used car radio ???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The 2002 radio in my TT died. Since new RV radios cost $$$, I looked on eBay without much luck. I am thinking about replacing the radio with a used car radio from a junk yard. That is a better radio for less money. I can rework the cut-out in the TT to fit the radio.

A friend said that:

(1) Many (most ?) car radios need am amplifier and will not power RV speakers directly. Is this true?

(2) Many new car radios have a locking code that is key to the car's VIN number that only the car dealership can change. This is to stop the steeling of radios.

How do I select a car radio that will work in my TT. . . .:h . . . Or is this a bad idea?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
17 REPLIES 17

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Thanks all . . . :B

My TT has 2 front and 2 rear speakers and I have the wire color code from the old radio. Now I need to find a good deal on the radio I want or I need Santa to bring me one.

I pulled a Panasonic stereo out of my 2003 TT that I have absolutely zero use for. PM me your mailing address and I will mail it to you. Its a typical car stereo from the era, nothing fancy.
jstar

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks all . . . :B

My TT has 2 front and 2 rear speakers and I have the wire color code from the old radio. Now I need to find a good deal on the radio I want or I need Santa to bring me one.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
most car stereos are 4 ohm I do believe.
jstar

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't believe a stereo could make 170% distortion until I came down here.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Mis-matched components will make your setup sound like a Mexican Hi-Fi

Hijole !!

~

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to an RV there usually are only two speakers possibly 4 so really all there is are the power, ground and speaker wires. The problem I have with mine is modern stereos have a second power wire that shuts the stereo off when you open the car door so if not hooked up to a switch of some sort the stereo stays powered up at all times until you kill the battery power in some way.
jstar

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many places including crutchfield (add www and com) sell the proper plug with pigtail or even adapt-a-plugs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the OP wants to pull an OEM (stock) radio out of a junk yard, which in theory would work,but those usually have proprietary plugs and you'll have a heck of a time trying to figure out what wires go where with no guidance. I'm with the others suggesting a radio from Wal Mart.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure whatever you choose is rated for your rig's speaker IMPEDENCE which is stamped on the rear of the speaker usually on top of the magnet structure.

Mis-matched components will make your setup sound like a Mexican Hi-Fi

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto Crutchfield, I just put a Kenwood out of my truck (aftermarket) into my RV but the speakers that are in it are pretty low end, I have much better speakers but they are too thick to fit in the roof holes, I could put some spacers and make them work but the slide would then hit one of them so I'm out of luck unless I mount them somewhere else but then would have to run wires which is a major pain if even doable. I would personally just get a low end modern unit maybe with Bluetooth and a usb for charging phones etc and be done with it.
jstar

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In a class A often there is an amplifier, but if you swap out the radio the amplifier will remain since the dash radio is a standard car radio.

in a trailer, Often all the radios are standard car radios to start with, Nothing special about them, some are DIN, some Double DIN some 1.5 DIN (DIN is the French national brueau of standards and the 1, 1.5, 2 refer to the size of the cut out which as you said you can re-do) so with very few exceptions they all replace each other.. and with the DIN cutout radios it's very easy to swap 'em out.

You may with to get an Adapter cable (www.crutchfield.com should have 'em) if the radio is a different make from the one you have.. Saves cutting and splicing wires.. Personally.. I'd cut and splice, but then I have the tools and training.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my OEM radio with a Panasonic, I think, and the only problem I have is that the wiring from the radio for the various options like Fade, Left/Right speakers, etc. were never connected properly so we just use the radio with the speakers that are connected.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on how old the tech of the failed radio is, you may find you have to do a little extra wiring to keep the Time and Station Memory "warm" when you turn the TT's house battery off for storage.

Any way I look at it, I see this swap as "easy."
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on walmart.

They have a 'huge' selection of radios and really cheap even for some pretty nice pricey brand names.

Sound system store wanted $800 bucks to replace the radio in my MH. I picked up a $120.00 radio for $79 bucks on sale that sounds way better than the factory one did and has 4 times the options on it. Not to mention some totally unecessary but cool blue lights.:B Instructions included were easy enough for me to install too!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.