cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want to add a hot water recirc line to my trailer

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
My wife runs the water in the sink until she gets hot water. When dry camping, that wastes a lot of water. I want to run a recirc line by cutting into my hot water line at the farthest point from the hot water heater, put a tee on it and have a switched valved that when turned on, opens and recircs the cold (but warming) water back into the fresh water tank. Does someone make a bulkhead fitting that you can use to insert from the outside and screw it tight from the outside to keep it from leaking? Since you cannot reach into those tanks, there is no way for you to hold a nut tight on the inside. I thought I searched on the net and found one, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. Any ideas?
33 REPLIES 33

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
You're right, the vent

I wouldn't intentionally dump the HW, but if some got in there, in the fall cool nights, it wouldn't hurt anything. I plan on shutting it off after it circulates, so the amount of hot to enter the tank should be minimial. But if we were in a very cold situation, having the ability to dump a little hot into the cold MIGHT be a good thing???

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
You'd dump it into the vent line, not the fill.

And whats w/ dumping hot water into your FWT ??? I thought it was cold water you were wanting to dump. When it turns warm or hot, doncha shut it off, or am I missing part of it ??
I see very little hot water dumping in the FWT.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I got a PM from johsuajim and he re-routes the return to the fill line. What I might do is both: In the shoulder months- especially in the evenings when it gets cold- I may add a tee and two manual valves downstream from my electric valve. One side would go to the fill hose (where the water tank will get warm water dumped back in it), and the other (for use in the summer when I don't want to warm my water tank) would go to just in front of the water pump. That way I could choose where to dump the recirc water. I like it. Thanks for the ideas, guys

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bluebeard wrote:
My issue is wasting good water while waiting for the hot water to flow.

Take that good water and use it to flush the toilet, or put it in said pitcher and chuck the water out the door.

Or use a 2 liter soda bottle to put that "extra" water in, then pour it back in the tank. Actually, make the wife do it since she's the one wasting the water.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Sharkbite fittings are awesome, but unfortunately they don't have what I am looking for. I think BigDog nailed the solution.

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Myredracer- Personally, I think your solution is good, but could be quite a bit expensive both in parts and time. Since you already have a pump pressurizing your system, why would you need another? I think BigDog's idea is the best. You don't need to do extensive mods and it will simply work. No need to replumb in locations that are a pain to get to.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what kind of bulkhead fitting you need. Did you check the website for SharkBite fittings?

Maybe one of their connectors will help?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if what's showed in this diagram could be a simple solution in an RV rather than the typical separate return line? Maybe use an on/off switch or timer switch? Pump would have to be rated for hot water use. Would also depend on how your piping is routed between HWT and faucets.

Have often thought a recirc line & pump would be a good idea. Even if not dry camping, would save on unnecessarily putting water into the grey tank if no full hookups available. In our case, I plan to remove the underbelly one day and would modify the piping as needed while in there.

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Korbe- yeah, but it is a hassle moving jugs around, but that too is an idea. And to tell you the truth, my wife wouldn't even think to put the basin in the sink. Too much hassle, in my eyes. This way, she pushes a button for a minute. No fuss, no muss.

MrWizard
Moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp often and our water is precious too. While in this mode, we have plastic removable basins in the sink and no water goes down the drain. It will either get used to wash or rinse, or later down the toilet. No Mod necessary.

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Big dog- Now I like that idea. I don't have to worry about bulkheads, and it would be an easy mod. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I like the idea of not filling the cold tank with warm water. Great idea..... not sure why I didn't think of that.... I've been battling with the bulkhead thing for days.

Bluebeard
Explorer
Explorer
Smkettner- I guess that is another option, but I don't have $217 I want to spend on another pump. I think my idea is much easier and cheaper.

ChooChooMan- Actually, I already do that. I use the grey water to flush the toilet. My issue is wasting good water while waiting for the hot water to flow.

Big_Dog2
Explorer
Explorer
I hope I didn't misunderstand what you are trying to do. Here is my solution. Install the T and valve at the far end of the hot water line. Return the water to a T just before the intake to the water pump (not to the fresh water tank). This will recirculate the cool water and you will not be adding any warm/hot water to your fresh water tank if you get distracted for a short time. This will allow you to still use the cool water in the water line and not fill your grey tank (and conserve your fresh water).

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.
I am living proof that you are never too old to do something foolish.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 1 gallon pitcher and use that water to flush the toilet.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized