cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inland Rubber Roof Coating casuing bubbles

duggram
Explorer
Explorer
I'm putting Inland's Bubber Roof Coating on my 10 year old Keystone Raptor EPDM roof. I live in New Mexico and thought this would be a good idea. I wish I had researched this a little more. The local trailer supply said this is the best coating I could get and it would be a good idea to put it on. However, once the first coat has gone on I look back and I can see bubbles forming that do settle down some as the coating dries but there still remains some bubbling. I just finished doing one of the sides of the roof and it looks the worse than the main part of the roof. I'm taking pictures of the other side before applying any coating so I can show the difference. Does any of this sound normal?

Also, the roof was very clean before applying the coating. I spent a full day washing with the Inland cleaner/greaser, and rewashing. That roof was spotless before starting today.

BTW I now realize I should never have trusted the local supplier. After doing a little research here I should have just cleaned the roof and put UV protection on like I do every year.
2 REPLIES 2

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have never used ANY EPDM coating after we tried to use the Dicor protectant/coating 15 years ago with horrible results. IF the EPDM is degraded to where you think you need a coating, then replacing the EPDM is best, but may not be cost effective on older RV's. What usually causes the bubbling is the reaction on the glue/adhesive component of the coating. Dicor EPDM approved sealant will also cause temporary bubbling on the EPDM roof, but goes down after a few days. Let it go and you will probably be ok. Just keep an eye on it for a few weeks. Doug

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
duggram wrote:
I'm putting Inland's Bubber Roof Coating on my 10 year old Keystone Raptor EPDM roof. I live in New Mexico and thought this would be a good idea. I wish I had researched this a little more. The local trailer supply said this is the best coating I could get and it would be a good idea to put it on. However, once the first coat has gone on I look back and I can see bubbles forming that do settle down some as the coating dries but there still remains some bubbling. I just finished doing one of the sides of the roof and it looks the worse than the main part of the roof. I'm taking pictures of the other side before applying any coating so I can show the difference. Does any of this sound normal?

Also, the roof was very clean before applying the coating. I spent a full day washing with the Inland cleaner/greaser, and rewashing. That roof was spotless before starting today.

BTW I now realize I should never have trusted the local supplier. After doing a little research here I should have just cleaned the roof and put UV protection on like I do every year.

YEP.

You have learned a very expensive lesson.

There is NO reason what so ever to slather on ANY coating on a "rubber" or "vinyl" roof..

Even the so called "UV" protectants.. This type of roofing IS designed to SHED "layers" over the lifetime of the roof. Slathering those "protectants" waste your money and time and potentially can shorten the life by holding the oxidized layers in place.

The ONLY exception is if the roof has gone past it's prime and is cracking and even then a coating would just be a temporary band aid to the problem..

The biggest problem with doing so is the chemicals in the liquid coating can and most likely will attack the roofing material.

All you can do now is wait and see if the bubbles go away..