cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing DC Voltmeter

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a DC Voltmeter in my TT but not in the vicinity of the power panel / converter. The closest point to monitor trailer DC voltage levels is the 12 vdc block in the bottom / back of the refrigerator. Would this work to provide system DC voltage when camping on battery power alone or is there a better place?
17 REPLIES 17

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Momentary or on/off switch on meter?

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
I picked up power for mine at the CO2 detector. It was inches from where I wanted to mount it.

Repeat after me, CO detector, CO detector, CO detector. :B

Edited, happy now?
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I took the voltage for my voltmeter from the battery and from the line to the CO and propane monitors, using a switch to select which source I wanted.

I selected the monitor line because the current drain is small and constant, and easily accessible, so that gives me a good indication of the converter output.

The battery is wired directly to a 12v socket that is only used for the computer, usually when driving, or for a Battery Minder when being stored over the winter. Usually this socket is unused so it is a good indication of battery voltage.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
If the meter is not self powered (internal battery) you can pick up power almost anywhere.

The dedicated "sense wires" should go directly to the point where you want to measure the Voltage (e.g. the battery).
Measuring at any other point will give erroneous results because of the currents in wires feeding power to electrical devices in the RV.

I suspect we are just looking for ball park readings anyway. If we are actually trouble shooting a problem I'd want to measure voltage in a specific area. Probably with a good voltmeter.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
If the meter is not self powered (internal battery) you can pick up power almost anywhere.

The dedicated "sense wires" should go directly to the point where you want to measure the Voltage (e.g. the battery).
Measuring at any other point will give erroneous results because of the currents in wires feeding power to electrical devices in the RV.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
I picked up power for mine at the CO2 detector. It was inches from where I wanted to mount it.

Repeat after me, CO detector, CO detector, CO detector. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The real answer is that accuracy or remote location vs at battery is IT DEPENDS ON LOAD.

If the wires from battery to gauge are not carrying other loads or only light loads, the reading will be accurate.

As load(s) on that wire go up, there will be a bigger and bigger delta between battery reading and the lower reading you get at the gauge.

So, if you can find a circuit that doesn't carry a load when you want to check voltage, it will be fine. The other extreme would be to tap into, say the furnace. With the furnace running, you would see a LARGE difference between voltage at battery and at the meter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up power for mine at the CO detector. It was inches from where I wanted to mount it.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
That meter draws flea power. (on the order of less than 0.1 amp)
The pressure (voltage) is pretty much the same everywhere, like water pressure in the house. Amperage, that's a different story, but we're only interested in pressure.

I have two cheap LED meters. The one nearest the battery reads 12.6. The other, 12 feet away and connected with very thin wire, reads 12.7. So the accuracy of the meter is a factor too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Put the meter across your battery for a reference and then connect it where you want. There will probably be a slight drop but not significant.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not so sure.... I have multiple voltmeters in my motor home and they do not always agree.. here is why.

Charging ... the closer to the converter the higher the voltage

Discharging: The closer to the battery the higher the voltage.

The only 100% Sure place is at the batteries.

That said. The length of the leads to the meter likely will not matter so long as the wire is thicker than a human hair. That meter draws flea power. (on the order of less than 0.1 amp)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You can connect to any 12v source but there may be slight voltage drop. Doesn't matter as long as you are aware of it.

I use a free Harbor Freight multimeter with the probes cut off and then hardwired.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The truest reading will be direct from the battery(s)
A good reading will be from the battery input to your 12v distribution center, or the output of the converter (under the fridge ?)
Any other place could vari, as it is getting farther from the batteries.

I have one volt meter on a good 40 amp circuit that runs my entertainment center, and it sometimes reads a bit lower than another volt meter at my 12v distribution center, but only when sat TV, or other device is on.

I hate connecting stuff directly to the batteries, except to a terminal block very near the batteries
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My previous TT had a cigar ligher socket just inside th door for charging cell phones etc. I used a digital meter that just plugged into that socket. Otherwise hook up near the monitor panel. Volt meters do consume current. Some more than others.