cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting gen experiment yam 2400is

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Well we had a warm enough day to test my generator with my ac. Trailer is 2014 crusader with 50 amp service, 4590 pd power Center 15000btu dometic hp ac. Generator is yamaha 2400is about 5 years old. Very low hours and well maintained. First run of the year. This gen DID run the 13500 dometic in my 2006 cougar. So I let it warm a few minutes then hooked up and turned off the batt bypass. Then started ac on fan only for a minute then to cool and IT STARTED and ran. Let it run for 30 mins and blew nice and cool. I was quite amazed. I'm not saying this will work for any ac in any condition but if you already own a 2400 yam don't assume it won't run your 15000 ac.
12 REPLIES 12

rodsterinfl
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting study. Question, are you using a Yamaha 2400isHC or a 2400is? You state a 2400is but just checking. I own a 2400isHC and it is amazing. It should be able to run about any 13,500BTU unit and even some 15,000 BTU units if it is an HC. The HC part is the circuitry designed specifically for motor usage, cycling, initial start, etc. When an RV magazine tested an HC unit, they reported that it easily handled 2000 continual watts draw and allowed for overdraw to around 3000 watts for 10-12 seconds. That convinced me to buy one.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paul Clancy wrote:
was quite amazed. I'm not saying this will work for any ac in any condition but if you already own a 2400 yam don't assume it won't run your 15000 ac.

I am not so amazed... Here is an interesting factoid.

My 50 amp RV came with two A/Cs. both carrier Air V, both 13,500 BTU, both draw 13.5 amps running, I have verified by testing with clamp on ammeter.

Well due to faulty workmanship one failed, out of warranty and Carrier no longer does RV A/C.. So I replace it with an advent air 15,000 BUT, Which, today I am truly enjoying (I could use even more BTUs.

The Advent air also draws.. running.. the very same 13.5 amps

Yes, more cold, same power.. newer A/Cs are more efficient as they improve the design.. So your 2014 may well draw even less power than my 2012 (but not likely) advent air..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
wwest wrote:
like2rok wrote:
When i start it cold, then go to Eco Mode On, then RPM's are slightly higher than when it warms up and slows down even more. It IS Much Slower than Eco Off which wastes fuel overnight when the AC only needs to run a few minutes per hour. On this thread Please Refrain from suggesting the easy fix of Eco Off.
The entire purpose of spending $1000+ on this Inverter Generator is the Fuel Economy/quiet operation and I refuse to settle with Eco Off as a solution.

I will keep this thread updated on the attempts to modify eco idle speed or rejetting.

FYI I have the Whynter GREEN ARC-110WD AC with dual hoses that specs state 9.5amps maximum current

Simple. You need to add a TDR, Time Delay Relay, and a heavy electrical load (***)to your A/C.

The idea is that the relay delays providing power to the compressor for 2-3 seconds, initially providing a connection to the new "load". A/C switch "demands" cooling, the load comes on line, the genset revs up to speed, then the TDR switches the AC to the compressor.

*** 2 500W halogen bulbs.

An AC typically draws 3X the running load at compressor startup, maybe even 5X at times, high head pressure.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 2400i and it had challenges running my coleman 13.5; However after I added the hard start, I was able to run the AC at up to 6500' cycling, for hours, and at 92 outside.

The problem I had with my 2400i was my inability to disable the eco mode - so it would run full throttle and I could control when I needed full throttle versus eco mode.

I did move to a honda 2000i and it won't run my ac above 90 degrees. It'll start and run for about 20 minutes, but as the pressure internally increases it exceeds my 13.3 maximum output and the generator overloads (yes, I did put the hard start kid on my new 13.5 AC unit)

your Yamaha should run at or around sea level (1000') the 13.5 you have. I would be willing to bet there is something else drawing current that's exceeding the 2400's maximum sustained amperage.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't hot. In the 80s. I'll try again when it's warmer for sure. No idea about watts. Enough for the converter/charger and ac.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

How hot was it?
Generators lose power as the temp rises, while the AC needs MORE power as the temp rises...

In short, cutting it close on generator power may leave one unable to run the AC when you want it the most.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Did you measure the amount of watts available during AC compressor run?

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure this is relevent but the 15000 hp dometic is "advertised" as dometics most energy efficient model. I'll have to give it another few tries before I'm confident at all. The yam seemed to struggle less at startup than it did with the 06 13,500

BobnKris
Explorer
Explorer
My 2400 won't consistenttly run my 13.5K. I added a hard-start capacitor, but it won't blow cold for more than a few minutes. We are around 1000' (Phoenix metro area). Tried it during both cool (relatively speaking - this is Phoenix) and hot weather. Through 3 campers (PU, Hybrid and now TT), the gen would not consistently start/run any of the 13.5's.
2022 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins
2022 Grand Design 31MB

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Alt 1129 ft. Not positive it cycled. But if it started from cold (ac hasn't run since last summer)?

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
But did you leave it on long enough to see if it was able to handle the cycling of the A/C??

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
At close to sea level or at altitude?
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X