cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter wiring setup

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I am new but have read many posts on this subject already and wanted to post my setup idea here to see if it sounds right.

My rig is a small Fleetwood Prowler 717B hybrid travel trailer.

99% of my camping is boondocking.

Battery is a new Duracell Ultra Marine size 31 (115 amp hour). Planning to upgrade to 2 golf carts in a couple years but that will require a whole new battery storage solution.

Converter is Itelipower 9100 40 amp (with smart charger) about to be wired to it's own circuit. (15 amp breaker)

I am pulling the microwave on to it's own circuit. (15 amp breaker)

A/C has it's own circuit but am not sure of the fridge yet. Hoping they are on the same. (20 amp breaker)

There are only 4 outlets left on on the last circuit which I want to power from shore (30 amp) or generator (20 amp 2600 watt) and inverter (10 amp auto switch/1200 watt). (15 amp breaker).

I am purchasing:

AIMS Power PWRIX120012S 1200W Pure Sine Inverter with Transfer Switch

High Quality 1/0/4/8 Gauge ANL Fuse Holder + 2 Pack Nickel 150 Amp 150A Fuse

Space Age Electronics SSU-PAM-1 Ssupam1 Relay Encapsulated

Already have:

2 gauge wire for battery hookup
4 wire romex from a house project

Plan is to run 2 gauge to the power side of the battery shunt, then from the battery side to the negative battery pole removing the old higher gauge wire (approx 2 feet total). Then run 2 gauge to the 150 amp fuse and then to the positive battery pole. I believe I also need to run a ground wire from the inverter to the frame.

Then pull the romex from the breaker to the outlet chain and replace with a romex line running to the power in on the inverter. Then remove that unused romex line from the outlet (first in chain).

Next wire the power output line from the inverter to that outlet.

I want the converter to auto switch so I got the space age relay (120 volt 10 amp). Hook up the black and white wire to the outlet breaker that is now wired to the inverter and then pull the black wire on the converter breaker and run it through the relay (always off wiring). Not 100% sure on this setup.

Hopefully all of that makes sense. Price is the main factor here and for pure sine wave this is the cheapest per watt for a name brand inverter and as a bonus has the transfer switch.

Just looking for feedback on the setup, also would like to make a bypass for the inverter for when/if it fails but not sure how to do that. I realize I can just pull the in/out romex and nut it together if things go bad but would like avoid that if possible.

I know for my battery power this is overkill but am planning ahead, and smaller does not really mean lower cost in this case. I have a remote start generator and battery monitor so I can fire it up easily when the amps/volts get low.
46 REPLIES 46

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
lafester wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Is the inverter feeding the main panel or just a branch circuit after the panel?

I am pulling the outlets off the circuit to be powered directly by the inverter/transfer switch.
OK so just remove the branch romex from the panel and connect to the inverter output. Get a new piece of romex and connect that spot in the panel to the inverter input.

Done. No converter relay, no bypass, nothing else to worry unless there is something actually on that circuit. Power will not go backward to the main panel. The bypass is the internal transfer switch.

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
So I am still looking for ideas for an inverter bypass using this specific setup.
setup pic (revised)

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish with the converter relay? I'm confused about that part of things.

The converter circuit does not appear to me to be at the output of the inverter. If you're connected to shore power (or the generator), the converter runs because it has AC power available. If you're using the inverter, the converter is not converting because it receives no AC input; it's just as though you had no AC power of any sort available. Switching off a dead circuit doesn't accomplish anything.

Otherwise, your plan looks entirely reasonable to me. You have one string of three or so outlets that will be run from the inverter when it's on or from shore power/generator power when that's available, thanks to the transfer switch in the inverter. Everything else is either dead (independent of the inverter) or connected to shore power/generator power.

No, I agree completely. I had just read so many posts saying I have to flip off that breaker no matter what that I lost my train of thought there. You can even see it in this thread.

edit: Just wanted to add thanks for providing feedback on my setup.

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Is the inverter feeding the main panel or just a branch circuit after the panel?

I am pulling the outlets off the circuit to be powered directly by the inverter/transfer switch.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you trying to accomplish with the converter relay? I'm confused about that part of things.

The converter circuit does not appear to me to be at the output of the inverter. If you're connected to shore power (or the generator), the converter runs because it has AC power available. If you're using the inverter, the converter is not converting because it receives no AC input; it's just as though you had no AC power of any sort available. Switching off a dead circuit doesn't accomplish anything.

Otherwise, your plan looks entirely reasonable to me. You have one string of three or so outlets that will be run from the inverter when it's on or from shore power/generator power when that's available, thanks to the transfer switch in the inverter. Everything else is either dead (independent of the inverter) or connected to shore power/generator power.

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
A inverter supply 1200 watts on the AC side will pull 100 amps on the 12 volt DC side (the battery). If you do this you will discharge your battery in minutes.
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
lafester wrote:
I was just thinking that I should not need to worry about the converter since it will not be powered by the inverter. Just read so many posts insisting this needs to be done regardless of setup.

We are boondocking permanently and have the converter disconnected.
Inverter wired whole house, fridge on gas.
Generator and external charger when necessary, which isn't often.
You don't need the converter at all.

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
I was just thinking that I should not need to worry about the converter since it will not be powered by the inverter. Just read so many posts insisting this needs to be done regardless of setup.

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The fridge draws no more than about 350 watts (mine is 325), so it is unlikely to be on its own breaker.

Is the Aims an inverter charger?

What is the price?

Yeah I am not too worried about the fridge as it will be on gas anyway. I didn't figure it would be on its own, but perhaps with the a/c. I may run it off battery while I'm travelling though if it works out ok. It's only a 2 way so this was not possible before.

The Aims is not a charger and it runs about $145 on Amazon.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The fridge draws no more than about 350 watts (mine is 325), so it is unlikely to be on its own breaker.

Is the Aims an inverter charger?

What is the price?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
lafester wrote:

I am purchasing:

Not my first choice.

I strongly suggest you draw a picture of your wiring plan, not only for us but for yourself.

What is your first choice (for my application/needs)?

I agree drawing it up would be helpful but that is going to take awhile. In the meantime if I did not write clearly enough feel free to ask questions or post concerns.

EDIT: Here is my first attempt

IMAGE LINK

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

How many watts is the microwave? I doubt a single jar will be able to do much more than warm up a cup of coffee.

Microwave will be on its own circuit not powered by the inverter. It is 1200 watts I believe.

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
It sounds like you have the circuits worked out. Do you have a particular question?
BTW, I wouldn't install the relay, choosing a manual switch, instead. Alternatively. using another breaker to power the converter. I just spent a few days and wore out my cuss-word load for a month, investigating a fuel pump relay in my Son's Subaru. Relays are another failure point, IMO. You may wish to have that convenience, no harm.

The converter will be on its own circuit, the relay is just for convenience. Main questions are the relay wiring and the possibility of an inverter bypass.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
lafester wrote:

I am purchasing:

Not my first choice.

I strongly suggest you draw a picture of your wiring plan, not only for us but for yourself.