cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invertor

wdcd
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so the in laws bought a 2006 TT and the invertor has issues. It will not charge the battery or run the 12VDC lights, even when on shore power. If you hook up a battery charger to the battery all the time it will work fine. The 110VAC works fine in the TT just not the 12VDC. All fuses are good and the battery is new and shows good when testing it with my Fluke.
8 REPLIES 8

wdcd
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the charger is on the battery the lights will work. As soon as you remove the charger the lights get very dim then go out completely. The battery is new it just seems as though the convertor will not charge the battery and it has no 12VDC output. When the TT is on shore power the lights should work without a battery as the convertor makes 12VDC, correct?? The in line fuses that others have mentioned are a new one to me. I will have to look into that this weekend we I am at the property.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure I understand what is working? If you charge up the battery with your external charger, do all your 12 volt lights work after removing the charger? Also, when you say all the fuses are OK do you include the two on the converter?
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
You can test the converter by disconnecting the negative battery cable, plugging into 120 volt shore power then measuring voltage across positive and negative leads at the converter. No voltage means bad converter.
Good luck / skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Either work your way forward, check 120 power to the converter, (it's on a breaker), then if that is there check the output terminals of the converter, then if that is good, check at the battery to see what the voltage is there; or work your way backwards, check at the battery to see the voltage there, then the converter terminals, and then the input.

Recently my converter was producing full power, but the wires connected to the output to the battery were loose resulting in a hot white wire (that's how I found it), so check that first!
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Moved from Forum Technical Support

wdcd
Explorer
Explorer
OK. What Too Tall said. I have my ins and cons reversed.

Too_Tall
Explorer
Explorer
Inverter DC to AC Converter AC to DC

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this an inverter/charger? Or just a converter? (Because it's not an inverter)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman