cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is an RV generator worth it?

bikerv1369
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has an Onan Microlite 4000 generator that has been well maintained. It now starts but stops running as soon as I release the Start button. My mechanic identifies the problem as electrical and mostly likely due to wires being chewed by a rat or mouse. To fix the problem he says he'll need to drop the generator out of the RV to get access to all the wiring and check for other damage, and I suspect the work won't be fast or cheap.

In the interim, I can run my inverter with the RV engine idling and get the same power I get from the generator. At idle, my Ford E350 Triton V10 burns about 0.7gph, while running the generator burns about 0.5gph. At $3/gallon for gas, that extra 0.2 gallons costs me 60 cents per hour. BUT... for every 150 hours of generator usage I pay Camping World $150 for a generator service - which means NOT running the generator saves me $1 per hour in maintenance. In other words, looking only at these factors, it is 40 cents an hour cheaper for me to run the inverter with the engine idling than it is to run the generator. And for what it's worth, the RV engine runs quieter than the generator, and its exhaust is less of a nuisance. So my question is:

IS AN RV GENERATOR WORTH IT?

The replacement cost for my generator is over $3,000. And if the RV didn't have a working generator it would lose a lot of resale value, so that alone justifies going forward with repairs. But other than that, once it's repaired:

WHY RUN THE GENERATOR IF RUNNING THE INVERTER WITH THE ENGINE IDLING COSTS LESS PER HOUR?

One response I'd expect is that running the engine has a maintenance cost too, but at $75 per WalMart oil change every 3 months or 3,000 miles regardless, I'm not sure the incremental wear and tear would even be measurable.

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?
73 REPLIES 73

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, Iโ€™d say it depends on what type of camping you do and where you live. We never boondock or have had a need for a generator. But you if camp off grid at all, a generator may come in handy. However, we live in FL and last year we were without power for 6 days due to a hurricane. I have a 5k portable generator, so we were able to keep the fridge running and plug our old toy hauler into it to run the a/c at night so we could sleep comfortably after long and hot 12 hr work days. When we ordered our Momentum, that was fresh in our mind so we opted for the factory generator. We can be live off grid right at home if needed, to include a/c, tv, recharging, hot showers, and lighting. We may never need it again, but will be covered if we do.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Although of course not anywhere near as much as an inverter generator, but ... our RV's 4000 Onan sound level and fuel consumption vary with the loads on it ... even though it's spinning at a constant 3600 RPM.

Also, I've mentioned before that the portable inverter generators spin in excess of 4000 RPM when delivering their full loads.

My Briggs and Stratton P2200's "revolving field is driven at about 4,500 rpm "(eco off) by a single-cylinder engine. (111cc) Running is 1700w (120v x 14.2a)

It is not "too loud" (noise is low pitch rather than high pitch, so it is tolerable) but is certainly louder than my Honda 3000 was. Don't have a standing there comparison for noise with a Honda 2200.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although of course not anywhere near as much as an inverter generator, but ... our RV's 4000 Onan sound level and fuel consumption vary with the loads on it ... even though it's spinning at a constant 3600 RPM.

Also, I've mentioned before that the portable inverter generators spin in excess of 4000 RPM when delivering their full loads.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
The Onan 6000 and 8000 diesels are inverter based and very quiet and efficient. I do wish Onan would bring that tech down to their smaller gas line. I am pretty happy with my 4000 Onan, simple and not too loud and pretty efficient. The 5500 gas twin cylinder operate at 2400 rpm and are even quieter. they also offer EFI in the larger gas.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with a 2500 LP built in generator.
I bring my EU2200i.
I have 380 watts of solar with 300 AH of AGM with 2000w, 300w, and 600w PSW inverters.

I believe a built in gen is worth it. I was a Boy Scout 35+ years ago lol, so I like to be prepared when out boondocking for 10 days.

Pros of built in....
Itโ€™s already in itโ€™s spot, no moving/hauling around, no extension cords,secure.
Push button remote start.
Ready to go immediately, not out there in the rain, wonโ€™t walk away.

Cons...
Louder
No ECO mode
Vibrations in trailer/RV

Portable inverter gen pros...
Quiet on ECO.
Better fuel economy
Inverter stable power

Cons
Need to bring them along, storage space.
Chain them up so they donโ€™t go AWOL
Run extension cords
May or may not have remote start
I wonโ€™t leave mine out in the rain

Solar power with inverter pros
SILENT power
PSW power
No maintenance or fuel costs
Set and forget, once installed it is always working

Cons....
Sun must be shining on them to make power.
Need adequate battery bank for optimum performance

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BF ... it probably has nothing to do with us being home based in California.

We're rockhounds and sometimes that means fanatic RV activities like: Parking the RV out in the middle of nowhere and then walking around under umbrellas in blazing sun 100 degree+ conditions - as in the Texas Panhandle during August. Boy did generator powered A/C feel great when we finished and had an inside lunch out there!

Sometimes ya gotta be ready for anything. :E

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You Californians are not what you used to be. Kit Carson would be so ashamed! He used to walk from Tucson to LA carrying just enough water on his mule to make it ok. Now that was Rving!

BTW his mule was named "Dan" and he used to tell it, "Keep a moving, Dan, it's a devil not a man." This was later turned into a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDo-KqUjpA
Photo in Profile

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Convenient A/C, or push-button A/C, or no A/C ... is a matter of one's camping style and tolerance.

Some folks are hit and run campers versus long term squatter campers. Combining the hit and run style with being long past caring to camp in a cold box or a hot box ... it should be obvious why a few hours of convenient furnace or a few hours of convenient A/C could be important.

As for us, we don't always head out to specific places that might include "comfortable temperatures". We head out to specific places for other reasons and sometimes the temperatues we wind up with can make an RV into a hot box in a hurry ... hence convenient built-in A/C.

I guess that I don't understand why folks would reject an RV that had no automatic heating system, but be content with an RV with no automatic air conditioning system. As for us, perhaps we're just too used to the push-button central A/C in our residence. We seldom use it but when we need it ... it's priceless. It's the same with our small Class C motorhome.

So far our worst hot box camping has been during a tour of the Southern U.S. in July-August (due to timing beyond our control). What a joy camping was on that trip due in no small part to the built-in generator conveniently and quickly being able to power the air conditioning system.

We travel with friends who up to recently towed a small TT with no generator. After hit and run traveling with us just a short while and - seeing how convenient it was for us to have a built-in generator - they just recently sold their TT and now have on order a 25 foot Bigfoot with a built-in generator. They wanted an RV that could do it all and now they have one in their future.

Someday for complete cold or hot weather self containment RV'ers may have solar panels that are 85-90% efficient, Lithium batteries that are actually affordable and can be charged in cold temperatures, and propane fuel cells that are actually affordable ... but until then it'll take a good old generator somewhere in the mix.

All of the above is IMHO, of course.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is all situational as usual. We don't have an air conditioner and don't need one. So having no built- in gen makes more space to carry stuff we do like to take along. The one 2200 gen is all we need.

Also this is a MH problem. With a 5er or TT the gen(s) can go in the truck. Some 5ers and TTs do have built-in gens. Some MHs tow a cargo trailer you can put a gen in, instead of towing a car.

I do not understand the whole gen and air conditioner thing, but it keeps coming up so it must mean something. I would think air conditioning would be needed for too long a time to run a generator and keep getting fuel for it.

The 3000 was needed to run high amp battery charging, which can be a requirement with a big AH bank and short gen hours at an off-grid campground. A 2200 means you must take longer to do the 50-90 or be somewhere with enough gen time.
Photo in Profile

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Measure carefully. Our C has a side compartment meant for a built-in gen, but was not fitted with one. (original owner decision I guess) I tried to put our Honda EU3000is in there and it was too tall by about an inch.

I could have removed the bars used as "feet" from the gen, but there was no way to get it in and out easily- very awkward and heavy. The handles on the gen just made it in for size.

However, I can fit one 2200 gen in there no problem plus a gas can for it, or two 2200s but no gas can. The compartment door just manages to close with the gen front showing so two can go in, so again, it is all about careful measuring. One longer one can go in with the side towards the door, but then no room for two or a gas can.

They are not all the same size or shape, so you need to measure.
EDIT--also note where the pull starter is wrt the operating control panel and the receptacles. Running it in the compartment, you might have to choose between getting at the pull starter or getting at the controls and receptacles.

You do not get double the power with two! False advertising on most of their sites. You get 3000 with two 2200s in parallel, eg, with one brand's. There is a variety of "parallel kits" among brands as to what will do what for power in various combinations. It seems to depend on the receptacle limit of the kit and the size of the smaller gen in the combo. Not much info on all that. Needs more detective work to learn what all the choices are and what power you can get.

With ours, the gen makes too much noise inside the RV if it is left running in the side compartment. Way better to place it outside on the ground, and even better to move it away on a longer extension cord.

It is obviously easier to have a built in gen, that uses RV fuel, that can run your air conditioner, that you can start from inside the RV, and use at rest stops without having to do a bunch of work.

If you want cleaner power for something, you can just use your actual PSW inverter to run that, and then recharge the batteries with a charger powered by the non-inverter gen.

I see the portable gen thing as a work around for when your RV does not have a built- in gen.

BF ... a great summary above in support of a built-in generator!

The argument in favor of high-wattage portable inverter generators because they're not as noisey as the built-in Onans is really showing it's age and lack of knowledge on what is really going on.

The only time portable inverter generators that are out in the open (as they usually are) are less noisey than Onan generators built into RV compartments is only when the inverter generators are used at low power levels. Try rev'ing them up to match the Onan's constant on-tap output capabilities and then see how quiet the inverter generators are. In fact, inverter generators turn at RPM levels well in excess of 3600 RPM when they're called upon to deliver full power -> and then their noise can get real irritating.

If the compartment in which a built-in generator is in has insulation added to it's sidewalls and ceiling - relatively easy to do - then it's sound level can be reduced even further. In fact, I've walked up right beside a Class A motorhome with it's built-in generator running and could hardly hear it running at all ... which was due to how it was installed in it's compartment.

There is no substitute for a built-in genny's convenience in providing high power immediately on tap ... at all altitudes and outside temperatures ... day or night ... for 4 minutes of microwave or 40 hours or air conditioning ... and fueled right from the main tank.

But I guess I should provide full discloser: We also pack along in our RV a 650 watt portable generator for battery charging that runs at full power at a noise level of only 54 db.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikerv1369 wrote:
CORRECTION: NO, For me RV "Generators" are NOT worth it

I previously posted that I would be repairing my Onan Microlite 4000 generator. After reading this article and using an inverter generator, I realize the Onan is a "conventional generator" and old technology. I'm dumping it and here's why:

https://yamahaef2000is.com/conventional-generators-vs-inverter-generators/

For those of you with hands-on "inverter generator" experience, I welcome your advice as to which make/model I should buy.

Will an inverter generator provide cleaner power? Yes. Does that matter? In maybe 1% of cases, maybe, maybe not. I had a built-in ONAN for 10 years and used it exclusively. I never had a problem with its power. Literally everything I ever plugged into it ran just fine.

As far as just WANTING an inverter/generator, I prefer the Honda because it has a fuel pump that makes it child's play to use an extended run fuel tank.

(Please keep in mind that what you linked to is an advertising circular, not an objective comparison.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure carefully. Our C has a side compartment meant for a built-in gen, but was not fitted with one. (original owner decision I guess) I tried to put our Honda EU3000is in there and it was too tall by about an inch.

I could have removed the bars used as "feet" from the gen, but there was no way to get it in and out easily- very awkward and heavy. The handles on the gen just made it in for size.

However, I can fit one 2200 gen in there no problem plus a gas can for it, or two 2200s but no gas can. The compartment door just manages to close with the gen front showing so two can go in, so again, it is all about careful measuring. One longer one can go in with the side towards the door, but then no room for two or a gas can.

They are not all the same size or shape, so you need to measure.
EDIT--also note where the pull starter is wrt the operating control panel and the receptacles. Running it in the compartment, you might have to choose between getting at the pull starter or getting at the controls and receptacles.

You do not get double the power with two! False advertising on most of their sites. You get 3000 with two 2200s in parallel, eg, with one brand's. There is a variety of "parallel kits" among brands as to what will do what for power in various combinations. It seems to depend on the receptacle limit of the kit and the size of the smaller gen in the combo. Not much info on all that. Needs more detective work to learn what all the choices are and what power you can get.

With ours, the gen makes too much noise inside the RV if it is left running in the side compartment. Way better to place it outside on the ground, and even better to move it away on a longer extension cord.

It is obviously easier to have a built in gen, that uses RV fuel, that can run your air conditioner, that you can start from inside the RV, and use at rest stops without having to do a bunch of work.

If you want cleaner power for something, you can just use your actual PSW inverter to run that, and then recharge the batteries with a charger powered by the non-inverter gen.

I see the portable gen thing as a work around for when your RV does not have a built- in gen.
Photo in Profile

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikerv1369 wrote:

I previously posted that I would be repairing my Onan Microlite 4000 generator. After reading this article and using an inverter generator, I realize the Onan is a "conventional generator" and old technology. I'm dumping it and here's why:

For those of you with hands-on "inverter generator" experience, I welcome your advice as to which make/model I should buy.

I conditionally agree with you with some caveats. The 4000 runs at 3600 and is noisy.

One 3000 or two 2000 inverters are quieter and cheaper BUT they wonโ€™t be built in, they probably wonโ€™t be remote starting, wonโ€™t Run off your main fuel tank unless youโ€™re comfortable with gas hoses laying around..and you have to load, unload, and worry if theyโ€™ll get stolen.

Many venues donโ€™t allow discreet gensets; they have to be built in.

Oh those dang trade offs again.

Which ones to buy? Budget driven. Champions, Honda or Yamaha.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

bikerv1369
Explorer
Explorer