cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this antenna for FM Radio & how do I connect to it?

MustangDan74
Explorer
Explorer
I have this antenna on the roof next to my crank-up TV antenna. Is this antenna for radio, and if so, how do I connect my Sony RV AM/FM/DVD stereo to it? The stereo unit has a single wire antenna currently connected to it and it doesnt receive hardly any stations.

Thanks-Dan

20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I gave a link to Crutchfield above..They have the adapter you need.. On the page I linked to.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is the Sony Antenna you need to fit the square antenna socket on the back of your Sony radio. The wire and plug you have is for the original stereo.

The radios it will work with are listed at the bottom of the page.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MustangDan74 wrote:
The camper is a 2005 Jayco.

The Radio is not a factory radio. It has been replaced. Doug

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
before you do any thing else try the outside antenna and see if it works better.
strip about 3" of insulation off the end of the old white wire antenna and wrap the stripped wire around the pin sticking out of the roof antenna cable and tape it there.
plug the old antenna wire into the radio and see if it works better.
if it does i would shorten up the old antenna wire strip the end and connect it to the antenna wire pin again.
i would use the excess wire to strip and make a connection from the ground part of the roof antenna cable to the metal case of the radio and see if that makes it better.
you will not find a ready made adapter for it but you could make your own by buying a female motorola jack and soldering the old antenna wire to it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The adapter looks like a common AUDIO adapter used to hook up between an external audio souce like an Mp3 Player and an audio amp. It is NOT an antenna connector (mot005) described here http://www.discountcarstereo.com/MOT005.html

It is a common AUTOMOTIVE Am/Fm Radio plug designed to plug into the back of your DASH radio. YOu can get an adapter to connect to a "House" type radio if it has an FM antenna connection. This page Crutchfield dot com has a wide assortement of adapters. not one of 'em what I was looking for.. But they do have two or three that can be chained to do the job

Double female
Male to "F"
and then a common 75-300 ohm balun from any TV store if yuoui need it.

MustangDan74
Explorer
Explorer
The camper is a 2005 Jayco.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Odds are the original Radio was removed and the previous owner installed another radio that was NOT Auto type Antenna ready. You also don't state the YEAR of the RV. The radio pictured is 7 years old. Doug

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
That adapter wasnโ€™t for the antenna, itโ€™s for connecting an iPod or other 1/8โ€ headphone style source to/from a home stereo line in/out.

It looks like the stereo uses a โ€œSony 2-pinโ€ antenna connector. The antenna lead you have is a Motorola car stereo type. I couldnโ€™t find anything off the shelf but you can probably buy a female Motorola fm then cut the Sony antenna to connect the 2 wires though Iโ€™m not sure how you would know which is the conductor and which is the shield ground on that Sony plug. Wait, is the white wire on a single pin on that connector? If so then youโ€™re probably out of luck.

Your best bet is a car stereo to replace or supplement that one.

MustangDan74
Explorer
Explorer
This is the connector coming from the roof, as well as the connection on the back of the stereo.

This is the adapter that the previous owner had connected to the antenna cable. I dont see how this could be of any use considering the antenna connection on the stereo.

So is there any way to connect the roof antenna to the back of this stereo? Any adapter I can use?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
X

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do agree without a yard stick standing next to it hard to tell if it is CB. Ham or AM/FM

Better than a yard stick, a meter stick
FM is the 3 meter band so a quarter wave is about 75cM (3/4 of a meter)

Ham is 2 meter so it's 50cm (half a meter)

Cb will be none of the above. and will have a coil at the base.

If it is an AM/FM it has a standard "Motorola" plug, this is a coaxial plug where the tip is extended beyond the outer shield/sleeve And it's not really designed to attach to a home type radio.> But is to a car radio.. (Which has the matching hole in it.

Most "home" radios will have 2 screws.. You can use a clip from the TIP of the antenna lead to one screw and a second clip lead to ground (Or the sleeve) but frankly that's not the best option. Impedances of the feed line are not anything I'm comfortable talking about.

You can also use a 75 to 300 ohm balun (Transformer) but finding the right adapt-a-connector may drive you bonkers.. I know where to look and even I have issues finding 'em.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It is a AM/FM antenna. IF it is installed on your trailer, then it IS connected to a radio in the RV. They do NOT install AM/FM antenna's from the OEM if they do NOT have a factory installed Radio/Sound System. Doug

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
It could also be for a CB radio if your RV is a Class A to C.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
looks like it may be one like this RV Motorhome Trailer AM/FM Radio Antenna, if you look through the pictures you can see the plug you are looking for it may have to be adapted to work with your radio if it does not have the correct plug in.