cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this my converter?

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Was trying to find my converter and found this under the bed ( between the bedroom furnace and built in vac ).
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
22 REPLIES 22

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Most of the Motoraid rear heaters had the engine coolant run thru them continuously. Usually, there is a DASH area switch to turn on that blower. It is installed to allow engine heat to heat the bedroom area while in transit and not have to run the furnace. Some.(old Winne/Itsaca) there was a Pull cable to close off the hot water valve if it had one and a Fan switch and this assbly was installed in the side of the Bedboard assbly. IF you see no Choke type metal cable going to that heater, you do not have a hot water shut off. Like I stated, it looks like there are 12 volt wires going to that assbly next to the converter. There will be NO tstat for that Motoraid heater. Just a fan switch to turn it On and Off. Doug

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
I'm guessing that heater is a "Bus" heater, a heat exchanger taking engine heat from the engine cooling system. Our old Triple E Commander Class A had one, worked great as long as the engine running!

I'm assuming you were correct. I got down there and got better pics. It has a radiator. Problem with this is I have no clue on how to turn it on. All I can find is a thermostat for the LP furnace in the bedroom.

But, there is also a larger LP furnace, that was further back under the bed ( I didnt see before ๐Ÿ˜ž

Found the name plate on the converter:

I'm going to upgrade the converter.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JimInMich wrote:
I'm guessing that heater is a "Bus" heater, a heat exchanger takink engine heat from the engine cooling system. Our old Triple E Commander Class A had one, worked great as long as the engine running!

No, it's a propane heater ( could be electric, haven't tried it without shore power hooked up ). I get heat from it while engine is off.

1. It is NOT an LP heater(Too small)
2. It is NOT a Electric heater
3. It is NOT a Sol-aire heater
4. If it is a optional rear heater and is connected to the chassis engine IF it has a motor or radiator in it
5. If no motor/radiator, it is a metal distribution box for the Furnace duct work.
6. They do not build 120 or 12 volt heaters like that for RV's.
7. What about those blue and red wires that appear to go into that black box. Do they go in that box? Doug

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Doubt it
He has a Fifth wheeler, not a bus conversion

Not according to his profile.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Chris
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
Is this post about a furnace or a converter?

We already know what the converter is, talk of the furnace is simply interesting speculation. Feel free to ignore if you wish.
-- Chris Bryant

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Is this post about a furnace or a converter?

Who gives a S**T what the converter is, Id swap it out with a Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizzard. Had a 93 Pace Arrow Diesel Pusher with an old steam driven converter, Swapped it out with a PD the same time I replaced the 4 six volts with Sams Club GC batteries. That was back in 05 & the new owner still using those batteries!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The Heater parts shown are not a propane furnace. There may be one outside under it but it is either an electric heater or a manifold. Not a heater in itself.

That does look like an old time get a new one converter nestled in all those ducts.

I'm thinking the unit vents to the right out the sidewall, I don't recognize it, but it looks a bit like an old SolAire furnace. I don't remember if they were still around in '87.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Heater parts shown are not a propane furnace. There may be one outside under it but it is either an electric heater or a manifold. Not a heater in itself.

That does look like an old time get a new one converter nestled in all those ducts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Ferro resonant power supply is what I see on the Ultrad schematics. If it's older, it probably has a fixed output voltage, unloaded, of somewhere around 13.6-> 13.8V.
A meter is the thing to have for something like this, ability to diagnose output and health of the converter. Got meter?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I don't remember dates of company name changes, but that is either a B&W, Triad-Utrad or Magnetek- they were all basically the same. You can find a brochure for them here and schematics and repair info http://www.parallaxpower.com/archived-tech-docs#here- you have to choose Magnetek and scroll down to 700-900 series, or B&W Phillips and scroll to the Triad-Utrad link.

Looking through the factory wiring schematics, they show it's either a Triad TU 740-2 or 750-2.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Brand and model would confirm what you found.
Is there an issue to fix? Looking for improvement?

No issue, just wondering what I had and possible upgrade thoughts.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that heater is a "Bus" heater, a heat exchanger takink engine heat from the engine cooling system. Our old Triple E Commander Class A had one, worked great as long as the engine running!

No, it's a propane heater ( could be electric, haven't tried it without shore power hooked up ). I get heat from it while engine is off.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Doubt it
He has a Fifth wheeler, not a bus conversion

No it's a 1987 Class A ( see sig line ).
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.