cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

L4 autonomous semi trucks one step closer to reality

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://electrek.co/2021/12/29/tusimple-successfully-operates-80-mile-autonomous-semi-truck-ride-on-...

Interesting!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
12 REPLIES 12

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
If you fail to make the payments on an autonomous vehicle does it return itself to the dealership?

Naaaah, it locks you in, tells you it will hit a specific object in 5 minutes unless you complete a payment before it gets there.
So now Musk and his cohorts can claim credit with improving the credit scores of their sucke er buyers.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Personally, I'd take my chances with the autonomous semi vs the absolutely brain dead humanoids on the roads in my neck of the woods, eating, texting, applying makeup, speeding, weaving in/out of traffic, shooting at other vehicles......you get the idea.

And think how much more accurate their "shooting at other vehicles" will be when they don't have to be bothered with a pesky steering wheel.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
If you fail to make the payments on an autonomous vehicle does it return itself to the dealership?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
We already have a 99 car train that is operated by one person. Why are we not shipping more by train.
The trucks are so big they dominate highways and streets in towns. Those streets were never intended to have trucks that long be used as delivery vans/trucks.

The railroads are interested in dedicated trains like chemicals, grain, crude oil, etc where they pick up 100-150 cars at one point run them to another point, unhook, grab the empties bring back to the loading point, rinse and repeat.

They don't want individual car loads any more and they don't want to build cars anymore. It's inefficient and takes away from much more profitable business. There is no spare capacity on the rails, anyway.

Also shippers can send 20 pallets on a truck and make delivery at multiple destinations in a MUCH more timely manner. Having freight on the railroad in individual carlots is not for the feint of heart.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
And yet on-star has been automatically calling for assistance for many years when the vehicle is in a significant accident.

That seems fairly good natured to me. Not heartless uncaring machine.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
Personally, I'd take my chances with the autonomous semi vs the absolutely brain dead humanoids on the roads in my neck of the woods, eating, texting, applying makeup, speeding, weaving in/out of traffic, shooting at other vehicles......you get the idea.

You have no idea as to what you are saying.

I have worked with very large robotic equipment the last 22 yrs, it has no feelings, no thought process and if you step into it's path will kill you and not feel a thing, stop or regret killing you. Its programming is only as smart as the ones that wrote the programs and it's sensors are only as good as the one that designed and made them.

My newest vehicle has a "lane keeping camera" which is supposed to let you know if you are going out of lane or about to rearend (auto brake) someone.. It even is supposed to auto dim your headlights with on coming traffic or if you get close to another vehicle.

None of those features work well under normal conditions, so bad that I ended up disabling all features I could (auto braking I could not). Add in a few rain drops, snow or fog and wham, all of the camera systems which are supposed to "keep me safe" are no longer safe to use because they become unstable..

Cameras, radar, Lidar, infrared sensors and AI cannot fully replace the human eyes, ears, mind and yes, feelings.

That's all we really need is 80K lb blind, heartless, unfeeling robots running amuck on the road :S

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:

When something screws up, who pays?
Insurance will pay according to the local state laws.

Will have plenty of video evidence gathered by the self driving vehicle including all actions made by the computer.

Good luck.

More concern might be from the police when the trucking company reports bad behavior of other drivers.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bgum wrote:
We already have a 99 car train that is operated by one person. Why are we not shipping more by train.
The trucks are so big they dominate highways and streets in towns. Those streets were never intended to have trucks that long be used as delivery vans/trucks.

Rail lines don't go everywhere roads go.

But really, the technology has been there for a while. Maybe 8yrs ago, I got a ride along on a semi around downtown detroit (actual streets and freeways not a closed course) with no one in the drivers seat.

The biggest issue is the legal/liability framework. Even if they are 10 times safer (and this is likely the case), when there is a crash, who will be held responsible and what will the payout be. With an idiot driver, it's the devil you know even if they are a worse devil.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, Thomas.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It will be interesting to see how far the Pol's will go to get these things on the road. Will they give companies operating them immunity from prosecution WHEN someone is killed by one? Will the company building them and the software be granted immunity?
Some pol's will support these, and collisions etc may be no more prevalent than with live drivers (I doubt it), but they will obfuscate the real issues and data.
When something screws up, who pays?