cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson learned lol

Shwthomas1975
Explorer
Explorer
Well I pulled the rod out of the hot water heater the end of last season to drain the hot water tank. Seems I should have put back in after it was empty. I just tried to scare it back in and it is so corroded I can’t get the threads to start. I write brushed both so they look ok, but I can’t get it to start. Anyone have any suggestions???
Thanks in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a good price for that size tap too. Since you're just chasing threads, that one should work just fine.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Probably have to bite the bullet and get a 3/4" NPT tap and clean up the threads. That's what I did. I tried the "cut slots in a pipe" and a couple other things, but the tap is about the only thing you can depend on to do the trick.

Same. Tap worked great. I tried the slots in a pipe, using a rotary wire brush, etc. None of it worked. Two minutes with the tap and all was great.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably have to bite the bullet and get a 3/4" NPT tap and clean up the threads. That's what I did. I tried the "cut slots in a pipe" and a couple other things, but the tap is about the only thing you can depend on to do the trick.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I empty my HW tank between uses using the low point drains.. I open both and then open the pressure relief valve on the HW tank and it drains out the bottom of the tank thru the cold water line. I get pretty much 6 gallons of water out (I put a bucket under the drain). This is the first trailer I have had that has the "rod" in it.. Guess I won't know if it does any good for a few more years, but that's what I'm doing for now.. I have removed it once already, but that was before I started doing it from the low point drains..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Tricky to get started. Had to kind of press down on the nut while turning to get rod parallel to bottom of tank. Easier to do than to explain. Good luck. You'll get it.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a new one?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman