cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

li battery pack of my dreams

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Now, if the cold weather problem were solved.....

https://www.rj-lithium.com/sale-12037443-48v-500ah-lifepo4-25kwh-battery-built-in-bms-factory-price-...

I don't know the price.

Nominal 51 volts 500 amp-hours (25 kwh). Maximum continuous draw 100 amps surge 600 amps (bms shut down current).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
I need something that can survive -40.
Is the place you keep your batteries actually that cold?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Valhalla,

I need something that can survive -40.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
562 pounds? I don't think so.

x2 - weighs as much as a wood stove.
Kevin

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:

Sticking points are r... cold weather operation.

Actually shouldn't be a big issue unless you are trying to heat with electric (unless you get to really extreme cold).

The big amp-hr use is typically the air/con, which you don't typically use when it's cold.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure I follow. You comparing 12v to 48?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman,

I'm not average. I find 556 amp-hours is not nearly as nice as the 875 I had before.
Regards, Don

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Looks small for the capacity. Must be the advantage of pouch cells instead of the cylinders.

Pouch cells, often called LiPo (lithium polymer with polymer being the pouch) can be very dangerous. As they charge and discharge, they heat up. As they heat up the pouch expands. If there is not adequate room for this expansion, "bad things" can happen !

LiPo tend to use LiCo (lithium cobalt) chemistry and NOT LiFePO4 chemistry because LiCo has higher "energy density" (more power per ounce).

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is another brand for $26,000

Link

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why I said of my dreams.

I want lots and lots of storage 25 kwh would allow me to run the RV as if it were plugged into shore power.

Sticking points are recharging, cost, and cold weather operation.

I don't have a price but apparently this company is about 50% of the Battleborn pricing.
Regards, Don

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Half? I was thinking two of them ๐Ÿ˜‰

You might be well ahead in the RV EV conversion.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure it's an amazing battery for its intended use, like on a yacht. But it's overkill for the average RVer. A Prevost maybe with 3 airs.

Imho an ideal size would be about 1/2 that... 200ah or so.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 51 volts is a tad much for RV use less you do major rewiring or use a dc/dc converter But... cut it down to a 12 volt pack you'd have about 1/4 the weight and 1/4 the watt hours Sounds good to me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
pouch vs cylinder is just that... the shape. Pouch is just in the form of a rectangular box. Nissan uses the pouches in the LEAF. Pictures on the link.

Which packs more power with the limitation of size and weight?

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_battery_cells

Summary from the article..

โ€ขCylindrical cell has high specific energy, good mechanical stability and lends itself to automated manufacturing. Cell design allows added safety features that are not possible with other formats (see BU-304b: Making Lithium-ion Safe); it cycles well, offers a long calendar life and is low cost, but it has less than ideal packaging density. The cylindrical cell is commonly used for portable applications.
โ€ขPrismatic cell are encased in aluminum or steel for stability. Jelly-rolled or stacked, the cell is space-efficient but can be costlier to manufacture than the cylindrical cell. Modern prismatic cells are used in the electric powertrain and energy storage systems.
โ€ขPouch cell uses laminated architecture in a bag. It is light and cost-effective but exposure to humidity and high temperature can shorten life. Adding a light stack pressure prolongs longevity by preventing delamination. Swelling of 8โ€“10 percent over 500 cycles must be considered with some cell designs. Large cells work best with light loading and moderate charge times. The pouch cell is growing in popularity and serves similar applications to the prismatic cell.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.