cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lighting a suburban oven pilot

Patrick45
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 RV and have a dickens of a time lighting the pilot. We use one of those lighter wand things but would be much happier if we had something a lot longer. Has anyone had the problem and you work something better out?
11 REPLIES 11

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There we go again with AIR OUT OF THE LINES.. When are you folks going to learn that any air that might have been in the lines vainished when the salesman lit the stove during the PDI, there is no air in the lines has not been since the first owner took posession.

Where did you get your information? Bleeding the air out of the lines in this method is fairly common knowledge...furthermore, it is good practice to turn off your propane tank while running a lit burner and letting the gas burn off before disconnecting your tank fitting, eliminating the pressure in the line.

It is also wise to store one's rv without pressure in the lines.

The advice given is sound and will serve the OP well. But you won't be fined if you choose not to follow it...feel free to choose your own road if you like ๐Ÿ˜‰

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Or just buy a peizo universal light @ WM for about 10 bucks...install it in the over with the push button on the stove faceplate. Then you just hold the pilot light knob in...push the igniter and the stove lights.
cpaulsen

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
This is the method I use.

2oldman wrote:
If it's still possible with newer ovens, turn the temp up to, say, 200*, then light it. That works great.. just don't waste any time lighting it!
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need to heat the thermocouple to light the pilot, pushing in the knob sends gas to the pilot and it will heat the thermocouple.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There we go again with AIR OUT OF THE LINES.. When are you folks going to learn that any air that might have been in the lines vainished when the salesman lit the stove during the PDI, there is no air in the lines has not been since the first owner took posession.

Only true if you leave the gas on 100% of the time.
If you turn the gas off (at the bottle) and there is any kind of system leak, or something opens it's valve and draws off the preesure, there is air in the line.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's still possible with newer ovens, turn the temp up to, say, 200*, then light it. That works great.. just don't waste any time lighting it!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I did something like this to our oven and it made the wife so happy.

http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24521274.cfm
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
You could try lighting the end of a piece of spaghetti, or a chopstick,a strip of cardboard, twig, etc. it will give you a little more reach.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

I find that the long nose gas lighter works well but like the first responder suggested, Make sure to heat the thermocouple.. The trick is holding the Press to light" button and the lighter at the same time. Thankfully I am a big guy with long arms.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to light the top burners first, to get air out of the lines.

I've seen extra long BBQ lighters and did a quick Google for this example: http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Enterprises-Screwdriver-BBQ-Lighter/dp/B006O1DXDK

I don't know if floor tile would have any materials in it that would be bad heated in the oven?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, with the regulations of the last several years it has become nearly impossible to light the oven. Take the diffuser plate out so you can actually see the pilot flame. Be sure to hold the gas match such that you also heat the thermocouple bulb while lighting the pilot. That should get you hot easier. Of course once it is lit and holding, be sure to reinstall the diffuser plate. If you have not used an RV oven before, buy yourself a pizza stone or go to a big box store and buy a 12X12 UNGLAZED floor tile. Place it on top of the diffuser plate. Makes your oven nearly as good as home.