cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lippert slide issue

VAWinger
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer is a 2014 Viewfinder Signature v24-SD. I believe it has a Lippert electric slide.

Had the trailer home for wash/wax; went to run in the slide to move it back to the storage lot, and slide moved for about 1 second (maybe an inch or 2) and then one side seemed to stop and then the other stopped. Ran it back out, and tried again - same result. After looking everything over and checking fuses, I removed the panel to get to the controller. The controller is showing a fault code that indicates there is a short between the controller and one of the motors. It seems impossible to see where the wires go, and I can't see the motors (even pulling back the gaskets).

So, I notice a procedure to do an override. Look it up online, and find the same procedure. I do the override sequence on the controller, and push the slide button and the slide comes in just fine. Tried it again with same result. Have to use the override, but then it works fine.

My question is: If there was a short as the error code indicates, wouldn't the motor not work at all? If it works when I do the override, there can't be a short can there? So maybe it's a bad controller? I'm not an electrical expert, but this doesn't make sense.

My first thought is to try to replace the controller (will have to research source and $$). In the mean-time, we have a trip coming up. Will it do any harm to use the override to work the slide until I can get this solved?

If I have to get to the motors, it looks like it will be a real challenge unless I start to do some serious disassembly on stuff that I can't see.

Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

VAWinger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies. It is out of warranty. I did manage to find the motor and checked that the wire is plugged in tight, but can't do much beyond that without tearing things apart. Because both ends of the slide are up against walls or cabinets, I'll probably end up screwing stuff up worse trying to get to stuff. I have an appointment to have a shop take a look at it this week. Thanks again!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have the LCI Schwintek slide mechanism. Your diagnostics and thinking are wrong. The slide controller IS telling you what is wrong. It also tells you WHICH motor/wiring has the short, if you read the LED flashes per the diagnostics ON the controller. To isolate WHICH motor is Motor 1 or Motor 2---Put in override, disconnect the motor 1 plug at the controller and activate the slide. The MOTOR that then starts up is Motor 2. That means the other is Motor 1. What you have is a wiring fault from the controller to that motor. Depending on the OEM, the cable from the controller to each motor may be 1 continuous wire or 2 sets of wires. If 2 sets, the main wire goes from the controller to the area UNDER the slide room outside at the track mechanism and then a shorter 8 foot cable connects to the motor running up the inside. With just one cable it runs from the controller and then up the sidewall to the motor. It works in override because they motor has a red and black wire from the controller and the other wires are (motor revolution counter wires), that keep the room in time and synch when going in and out. The odds are the cable feed for that motor has come apart or is pinched. Doug

IF under warranty, don't MESS with it. Get it in for warranty repair. It takes me longer and at YOUR expense to repair what the customer screwed up attempting to do their own repair.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not the motors or something awful like that!

I have a Lippert slide but it only has one motor and a cross bar thing to keep it even coming in and out, but I did have some trouble with the slide not working right.

It turned out to be the $29 in /out wall switch that was guilty and nothing else was wrong. So IMO the first thing to establish in your case is, "What does the over-ride over-ride exactly?"

Whatever wire is by-passed by the over-ride is guilty and can be fixed. There is nothing wrong with the rest of the system.

Is the rig still on warranty?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
On my electric slide it's the motors are above the slide outs inside. Look above the trim and see if yours are the same. Good luck