cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low propane at furnace

obscenic
Explorer
Explorer
With a U-tube manometer I have measured 11" WC at the propane regulator output. When I fire up the furnace the WC drops to just about 10.5". When I measure at the furnace, at the post-valve gauge output, I see just 6" WC when the furnace fires. Any idea what could be causing this?
24 REPLIES 24

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
4" Drop across the valve is terrible. Should be .5. Change the gas valve. You might want to also look for a kink in the line to the furnace as 1" drop is pretty severe.
Hope this helps
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

obscenic
Explorer
Explorer
Quick rundown of where I'm at.
At regulator gauge port: 12" WC idle, 11" WC with furnace on
At gas line into furnace: 10" WC idle
At furnace valve gauge port: 6" WC with furnace on.

Does that get any gears turning?

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this has been mentioned BUT there could be an oil trap in the copper line to the furnace which allows gas flow when warm but not when cold due to change in viscosity.

obscenic
Explorer
Explorer
The service manual for my furnace is here: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

It's a 7900 series (7916-II to be exact). The manual doesn't give a manifold pressure, it simply says to check for 11" WC in the "propane system"... which I seem to have, unless there's a blockage between the regulator and the furnace?

I should note at this time that the furnace ignites only about 10% of the time, which is why I'm exploring gas pressure issues.

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to test a regulator that has been taken out of service to see if it can still be kept as a spare? Is there any point in trying to blow oil out of all the propane lines as a PM thing? Other than doing a leak test, if you replace the regulator and two hoses to the tanks, is there anything else I should be doing as PM? Thanks
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
You should maintain minimum of 11" wc at the inlet of the appliance gas valve with the appliance running and when it shuts off the regulator should "lock up" at no more than 120% of flow pressure. If you check after the appliance gas valve refer to manufactures specs for manifold pressure.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I read in the Dometic manual that you need 50% of the gas appliances operating then set the regulator to 11"WC. When I did my testing I had 8" at the Refrigerator test port and the reefer would not cool on gas so I replaced the regulator with 1 that I could adjust at the tanks I got it set to 11"WC with all 3 burners on the stove top on max and the reefer on, now the reefer cools to 34 degrees.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Static w/c should be 11.5. You should NOT see a drop below 11 inches when an appliance is running. 6 inches at the furnace is strange. Regardless, IF you have to adjust a LP regulator that has been in use for years, it is BEST to replace the LP regulator. This is because a Regulator can get a weak spring/diaphragm and you can never get the W/C to stay on target as it will hunt and surge up and down. Doug

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
A half-inch drop is the design.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
This is normal.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com