cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Microquiet 4000 "No Crank"

GPSTECH
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan will not crank. When pushing the button you hear the fuel pump kick in and the light flashes fast and constant. When you push the stop button you again hear the fuel pump kick in.

Again this is a no crank condition, not a cranks and wont start.

I jumped across the solenoid and it cranks but wont start unless I hold the start button or the stop button down. Then it will start and run as long as you hold the button down. Of course if you hold it down in the start position too long it will shut off and give you the over crank code. It will run as long as I want holding the stop button down but does not produce 120v while holding the button down.

Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
GPSTECH wrote:
Ahhh Perfect

Thanks Kpack

I have bouted with several of those spec k generators they have no battery charger they are pretty finicky about the battery gr. Slip rings and brushes can be a problem they have to be making electricity to run. Ps be carful with that starter when you jump across the solenoid to energize the starter and it's running that's the starter turning it to run. So I wouldn't do that to long.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP ruled out battery, and cables, and solenoid,.....or was I dreaming !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check cabling from Battery to Genset, including Ground. You wouldn't be the first to have cabling issues recently, both Engine and Genset. Also, although it shouldn't require much power (amps, watts) to crank a little genset, they seem to be very fussy about battery condition. I thought my last bad house battery was good till it wouldn't crank our 4KY.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

GPSTECH
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh Perfect

Thanks Kpack

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Here's your service manual you'll just have have to trouble shoot. The experts will be along.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5odhzt9r60x91cj/981-0530Ckyser.pdf?dl=0

GPSTECH
Explorer
Explorer
Model# 4kyfa26100k
Spek k

No idea on the hours

The solenoid is good. When I apply 12v to the small terminal that is supposed to operate the solenoid it engages and the starter goes to working. Then if I push the start or stop button the fuel pump runs and it starts. However, when I release the button it dies I assume this is because the fuel pump stops.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
You have to be getting 12 volts with the start button pushed at the post where the starter wire is so the starter can turn. So I would start testing the solenoid . How many hrs on the unit and need the full model and spec ? Were just guessing which gen you have.

GPSTECH
Explorer
Explorer
There's not 12v to the starter. I can however jump the solenoid and it will spin over. Then if I hit the start button while its spinning over it will run. But when I release the start button it dies.

I'm thinking some kind of control module or circuit board?

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Your in the right place maybe the experts are napping. When you push the start button to start check for 12 volts from the solenoid to the starter when you let off the switch should be no power to starter.

GPSTECH
Explorer
Explorer
Did I post this in the wrong place ?