Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lubricating Front Jacks -

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Keystone Cougar, 244rls.

Tonight as I started to level out my trailer, the front landing jack on the passenger side started to make a squeaking noise.

I stopped and check the entire tube for a place to apply lube but didn't see anything.

How do you lubricate these Jacks?

On my old Travel Trailer, you'd pop the top, pack some bearing grease in it and you're on your way.

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated!

Thanks so much

Josh
6 REPLIES 6

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending, takes me about 20 minutes to get one leg out. Apart another 10 minutes. Clean and grease, maybe 10, maybe 60 minues depends on whether there is any screw damage or not.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not sure if there is a quick and easy way to do this. You'd think they'd have put a zerk fitting on it so you could just add grease to the areas that need it!

this looks like it's going to be a 20 minute project. You know, the ones where you think it'll take you 20 minutes and 3 hours later....

Thanks again!

josh

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I had with my 5'er jack was that there was a lack of grease on the jack screw, so what I did was I ran my legs down quite aways lifting the trailer up high, then supported the trailer with a hydraulic jack on one side, removed the landing gear drop leg and got a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of angle iron, squirted a goodly amount of grease in the corner of the angle and stick it up the landing gear leg rubbing the grease on the jack screw. Then I moved the jack over to the other side and lubed up that side.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"On my old Travel Trailer, you'd pop the top, pack some bearing grease in it and you're on your way."

Well, you could try that and it might work. It depends on what is squeaking, it could be the thrust bearing, the gears in the gearbox, the motor, etc. Once you get it narrowed down it might not be that hard to take care of. But if it's the thrust bearing it is doable, but not so easy. Depending on what stabilizers you have.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the landing gear off the fiver (yea, I am making an assumption). Take it apart, clean and grease the screw and nut.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Fifth Wheel with power landing gear? I tried looking that model up to verify it was a fiver and I probably couldn't help you. I started out thinking it was a hydraulic jack on a motor home. Then maybe a scissor on a travel trailer...

If nobody else comes along with something specific, then I'd say try to figure out who actually provided your landing gear and go after an owner manual, perhaps even by model number of the gear.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB